Monday, August 31, 2009

Are we 'normal'?

My husband and I have had many questions over the weekend regarding sending our daughter off to college. Of course, many questions regarding if we 'survived' letting her go. Our response, 'We didn't have a problem at all letting go and we didn't shed a tear'. People are shocked at our response, guess we aren't the 'normal' parents, especially since this is our first child going off to college.

I guess my husband and I look at letting go as a huge celebration, not of her not being home, but a celebration of her starting a new life on her own and we as parents adjusting to a child in college and only two children at home. We want to show our daughter we have faith in her that she can make it on her own. We are excited for her and look forward to hearing how things are going for her. It's an exciting time for all of us, a new chapter.

'Freedom' comes for both children and parents when it's time for college. We wish our daughter well with her new found freedom. Now we will have to see if we are 'normal' when it comes time for our youngest to go off to college, but um, that won't be for awhile!

1 comment:

Cassani Family said...

LOL well it was far easier to send my boys off than my daughter.. only becasue I miss her her more... maybe it is becasue she is in another state and the boys stayed close to home!