Thursday, May 12, 2011

Partial Empty Nest

It's taken me awhile to get things sorted out of my head from the past weekend.  My oldest daughter finished her second year of college and came home, but only for one week.  We had prepped the weekend prior when she was home, but once May 7th came around, it became more real, she wasn't going to be living at home for the summer...

I am sentimental, I can cry at the drop of the hat, but I didn't think this event was going to be any different than when we dropped her off at college for her very first day.  I wasn't sentimental when we dropped her off for her first day, I was excited for her, no tears.  No, I didn't cry this time around, but the feelings were different for me.  I guess I was now seeing my daughter as a true adult, setting her up in her house and making it look like a home for her, this was the real thing.

I have seen so much growth in my daughter over the two years she has been away at college.  That's what it's all about isn't it?  But she's my first born and she's growing up.  And she won't be home for the summer.

So many major life events happen when kids are involved.  My youngest daughter has now been confirmed.  The last one in our family.  All five of us have been confirmed in the same church, how special is that!  I almost started to cry during her ceremony when my hubby and I had our hands on her at the altar.  I had to stop myself or I would not have been able to stop.

My son will be a senior in high school next year.  I better get the sunglasses handy from here on out.  I love my kids dearly and I am one proud mama.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Okay...I'm crying for you! I totally cry when I see other's kids grow up and move onto a different stage in life...I cried like a baby when the girl next door got on the bus for Kindergarden for the first time...Hang in there momma...Your one great mommy!

asian~treasures said...

I started thinking about our partial empty nest that will start this fall...simply meaning, both kids will be in school. My house will be SO quiet! I'm gonna have to find a part-time job!!