Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not a 'Know it All' in Adoption

When it comes to parenting and in the process of raising three kids, this does not make me a know it all when it comes to parenting.  When I first became a parent, it was tough, though I had some great instincts, it was still hard dealing with a newborn, first time breastfeeding, dealing with colic, not knowing about postpartum depression, don't worry, mine was very mild but still, it was something I was not aware of.  I had no idea why I would cry for no apparent reason.  Why did they not cover this topic in the prenatal classes?  Then my hubby had to work in Minnesota when our daughter was only a month old.  There was no way we liked this arrangement so we moved temporarily to Minnesota to be with him.  This lasted six months until my hubby found a job back in Omaha.

Fast forward to today, extreme fast forward, as now my kids are almost 21, 18, and youngest is 13 years old.  November is National Adoption Awareness Month, so with this, I will get to what this topic is about.  Being an adoptee and growing up knowing I was adopted from Korea and having gone thru all that we adoptees go thru in life, I thought it would be easier for my youngest daughter to grow up around me and have this connection with also being adopted from Korea.  I figured she would be really open with discussions regarding her feelings....guess I was wrong!!  Okay, I have to say, she is open with me about talking about Korea, but she isn't that open when it comes to talking about kids at school STILL teasing her about being Asian....what?  Still??  I guess I have given our society the benefit of the doubt and put more faith in humanity, but slap me across the face and put me in the corner, society has not changed all that much!!!  I found out from my oldest daughter that the teasing has been going on when she took her shopping last weekend.  I'm thankful that at least my youngest can and will open up to her big sister, that's what big sisters are for!!

I've always said I dislike middle school the most when it comes to the age of kids.  This age must be the most horrible age there is.  This age is the meanest, the craziest, the worst age in my opinion.  Kids can be so mean!  The middle school my daughter attends is pretty diverse for being in a 'white community' so this teasing still surprises me.  Middle school kids though, they are the vain of my existence!  I'm glad this is the last year of middle school for my kids and me!

So it comes to show you, even though I can totally relate to my youngest daughter, I am not the know it all when it comes to parenting.  But, give me those kids that are still teasing my daughter for one week and I will straighten them out, in a good way, but seriously, think the parents need a lesson too!!

No comments: