Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Puppy Love

Seven months ago, we got a new puppy.  It had been seven years since our last dog.  My youngest daughter had been begging for a puppy forever, but I was never ready.  Our weekends were always busy, I was traveling, we were in a new house...who wanted the hassle of a new puppy around?  Not me, I was the hold out, until I saw the picture of a puppy on Facebook.  I began to inquire about the puppies, what type, how much and so on.  It was way too convenient for me to go check out the puppies, but I did and that was it, I was in love!  There were five black puppies and one brown/black puppy, I fell in love with the brown/black one since he was the only different one from the litter.

I can't believe we've had our little Bean for six months already.  It's amazing the changes that occurred, not only with our daily routine, but with the attitudes and emotions of our family members...especially ME.  I have always been a dog lover, grew up with dogs all  my life, so that was nothing new.  But I had forgotten the feeling of love one can have for a four-legged creature.  How it feels to be greeted by the pure excitement and wagging of the tail from your pet.  The laughs you get from watching the silly things a puppy does with toys.  The love you feel when the puppy snuggles up with you and falls asleep on your lap.  

I've even teased my hubby about how excited he gets and greets our puppy first and kisses him before me when he gets home.  He said that I don't greet him wagging my tail and spin around when he walks in the door...he's got a point there.  I've noticed a change come over me too.  I feel like I have been more loving and caring towards my hubby and kids since having a puppy.  I've heard that having a pet does make a person more loving and I believe it.  I wasn't sure if it was me getting older and more sentimental but came to realize it was because of our puppy that I have been able to show more love and affection towards everyone.  I've actually felt more needy too lately.  I want to be loved more, held more, kissed more...all this emotion because of one little Bean.  What a blessing he has been to our family!!

1 comment:

Debbie Dunham said...

That's so true, Kim! While it's true that having dogs is a lot of work, the rewards are immeasurable!