Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Loss of a Parent

Lately, I have had friends around me lose a parent. When I go to write in the sympathy card, I'm not sure what to write to make the loss any easier. I think of losing my father at such an early age and I try to think of what words would make me feel better if I had lost him at this time in my life. Then I think to myself that losing a parent at any age is hard. The pain and loss doesn't really seem real until later.
Losing my father when I was 18 years old, I think of the loss of time I had with him. I think of my husband, though we dated at such an early age, never really got to know my father. I think of my children not having the chance to know my father, their grandfather. I think that is the hardest part for me. I would have loved for my kids to have known my father, to laugh with him like I did. He is the one that gave me my sense of humor, thank goodness!
I know my dad would have loved my kids and they would have loved him. Seems so strange to me that my own family never knew my dad. I think of how I will pass on my father's legacy; it won't be thru any names, but thru my sense of humor and looking at having fun in life. I love you dad and I miss you.

No comments: