Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Being Older and Wiser

Is how I felt last night talking to my soon to be 18yr old daughter. It was weird seeing myself in her shoes with her relationship with her boyfriend. The way she is so outspoken and so matter of fact and not afraid to speak her mind. But last night, I told her that sometimes in life, you have to keep your mouth shut and let things go.

She has a tremendous future ahead of her; starting college and trying to determine what she wants to do with her life. Does that include this boyfriend? If that is what she wants, then she has to learn to keep her mouth shut when it comes to her boyfriend and his parents..they could become her in-laws!

I was trying to explain that when it comes to a disagreement between her boyfriend and his parents, it is between them and she has to stay out of it. He is torn and her 'role' is to be his safe spot, his soft spot where he knows he doesn't have to feel like he's disappointing her too. This is very tough, I know because I went thru this with my husband, who was my boyfriend since the age of 14 and I didn't agree with what his parents were saying to him at times.

I just hope my daughter takes my advice to heart and knows that I mean well and truly care about her feelings, both in regards to her as my daughter and her relationship with her boyfriend.

No comments: