Thursday, March 27, 2014

Korean Eyes

Being Korean, my eyes have been an issue for me when it comes to makeup, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara.  Growing up and being a teenager, most girls go thru the stage of wanting to 'come of age' and wear makeup.  For me, this was very scary since I was caught in the caucasian world with Korean eyes.  I didn't have any role models to help me tackle the ways of applying makeup for my type of eyes. I went to different places to see what the 'pros' could do.  I came out looking like a clown.  Fail.

I decided that eyeshadow would not be worn by me so I stuck with mascara and eyeliner.  My eyelashes were never long.  I would be told by numerous people that they could barely see my eyelashes and did I have any?  Duh, yes I did, they were just very sparse and didn't curl up automatically because of the way my eyelids were.  I would use an eyelash curler to help with this matter.

As life continued, I decided to not use eye makeup for a few years.  Now I'm back to using eye makeup and have gotten a lot better at applying eyeliner and mascara.  With my old age, I've become more bold and am now using eyeshadow and playing around with different colors.  My other big move is trying to get my eyelashes to look fuller and longer.  I've tried the false eyelashes, that's a lot of work!  Eventually, the glue would become itchy so I tried the self stick ones but even those would itch.  I've now gone to the Latisse treatment.  Yes, it's pricey at first, but when you think of how many times you buy false eyelashes and glue, it adds up, and for me, time and frustration with false eyelashes just is a waste for me.

The Latisse does work as long as you use it nightly or daily.  I use it at night because it is part of my routine after I wash my face.  My eyelashes aren't thick, but with the Latisse, I think they have become longer and when I use mascara, I see a difference.

I'm not one to be vain, but I write about this because being Korean and having different shaped eyes and very sparse eyelashes, I want to be able to give other Asians an option when it comes to looking like we have lashes.  This also does wonders for me feeling like I look pretty and I'm more open to looking at people while batting my eyelashes, just kidding, but still, I do feel prettier.

No comments: