Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Catching up with reality

Does one ever catch up? I think so, but being gone for two weeks takes a little longer to get back on track. There is so much going on in my mind; great memories of the trip; arranging schedules again; preparing to move, not my favorite thing to do, but the new house will be so worth it!

I didn't have much time to blog while in Korea. Mostly because of the hectic and full schedules and other times due to the lack of internet in the rooms. Being in a different hotel three days in a row didn't help either.

Overall, I loved the trip, it was an amazing journey. I was very proud to have shared it with my family and share it with great friends. My youngest daughter surprised me on one special occasion. We visited an unwed mother's shelter. I've done this in the past and shed many, many tears. I wasn't sure how my daughter would handle this situation, but she surprised me. After the Q&A, we were able to hug the mothers, as they were also crying throughout the meeting. To my surprise, my daughter was front and center to hug the mothers. More tears were shed as the mothers hugged her. We went to the bus and were told some of the mothers wanted to say goodbye one more time so my daughter and I got off the bus to say our goodbyes one more time. One mother, she was to deliver the very next day, so when she hugged my daughter, she was sobbing. How heartbreaking to see this as a parent. I cried with the mothers as I hugged them goodbye.

Driving away, the mothers were still crying as was I. Such a draining time, for as an adoptee myself, I cry for my own birth mother for her loss and I cry for my daughter's birth mother. Someday, I hope to meet my birth mother to let her know I love her for giving me life and I hope someday my daughter will meet her birth mother to give her a sense of peace. For without peace, I am not sure one can truly live life to the fullest.

So many other amazing stories on this trip of adoptees meeting their foster parents and some meeting their birth families. I am so pleased to know that this can occur for adoptees and birth families. All of these stories are very personal and it is up to the individual to share their stories if they so choose, as this is our story, our journey, our lives. My wish, however, is that adoptees will share their stories as you never know who it will touch. We all have important messages to tell. As always, I ask my daughter for permission to tell her story and what we found out on our trip.

Back to reality, yes and no. My mind is still foggy and my heart is still in Korea.

1 comment:

AMY said...

Oh, the un-wed mother's shelter...my chest still gets tight when I think about it. What a beautiful moment to watch, yet so raw.