Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Today is My Gotcha Day



And this is the jacket I wore when I came to my current family. I look at this jacket and it speaks volumes to me. It shows how small I was at the age of 5 1/2yrs old. It shows the time of year, winter. Inside, I wrote my name on it, as if I was claiming it forever, three simple letters, K-i-m, written in the oh so familiar writing of a kindergartner. This jacket was all I had from my past, but look at it closely, it shows style, it shows warmth, it shows hope.

Hope is what I take from this little jacket. I knew leaving my first family is what I wanted, I knew it was right. I was shown a picture of my current family and asked if I wanted to live with them, I didn't hesitate, I nodded my head 'yes'.

Granted, I didn't remember my Gotcha Day every year, but as I am getting older and wiser and more grateful, I cherish this day more and more. This day marks the third time in my life at living the life God intended for me.

I was the typical child, the typical teenager, the typical young adult. Life is great when you get a chance to live a typical life. Now I live a typical life with my own family. But typical is far from how we live. We live a BLESSED life and without my Gotcha Day, I wouldn't have this BLESSED life!

3 comments:

AMY said...

I'm sorry I didn't see this entry sooner. I'm so thankful for your Gotcha Day! Yea!

Debbie Dunham said...

Wow! I love the picture of the little coat -- it does say so much!!

Glad you're here and part of our lives.

asian~treasures said...

Love the picture...it's my prayer that someday my 2 will look at what they were wearing when we became a family & be thankful, too.

Sheri