Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why Do People Facebook?

Or any other social networking site? My hubby thinks they are worthless. He doesn't do FB, but I created a profile for him. He looks every once in awhile and declares how he doesn't care what people are up to. He wants to de-friend everyone, even though I am the one that created and accepted his friend requests. I created his to stay in touch with family and a few classmates(only because he was senior class president). But he still does not care about facebook.

So why do people like these social networks so much? For me, it is a great way to stay in touch with people and get back in touch with people from the past. There are so many people that say they really should/need to stay in touch with people better and this maybe the easiest way for them to do that. For me, to stay in touch with people, I really do make the effort to reach out and stay in touch with those that matter most to me. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Reach out rather than say 'you should/need to'? I guess making an effort nowadays is pretty tough for people. But who the heck isn't busy with their lives? No matter what a person does, you are busy in your own way.

These sites are ways to express your thoughts, feelings, and tell others what you are up to. It's a way to connect to people that have been lost to you. You share your 'status' with the world. And do people care? Some do, some don't. But is that why people do Facebook to see how many people reply to their status updates? For me, I don't care if I get comments or not. I post some serious status updates, but most of all, I post non-sense status updates and silly ones. Like most things, I throw it out to the world and never think about getting responses.

Then comes the issue of privacy...in my opinion, if you are on such a networking site, then is privacy really an issue? The whole world is involved. You control your privacy. You can post your home address, phone number, and personal info if you want. People forget this is a public forum. These sites, just like my blog, is a way for people to express themselves in ways they thought they never could. So enjoy expressing yourselves, have fun with it, and I'll see you on Facebook!

No comments: