Friday, March 4, 2011

I Love My Kids, But...

I'm only human, they get on my nerves sometimes and lately, it has been happening more and more. Why is that? Aren't they 'just being kids'? Seriously though, I could scream sometimes. I'm beginning to say the typical 'old person' saying, 'When I was your age...' But seriously, when I was my kids' age, I was doing so much more for myself and around the house. I wanted better for myself, I was taking care of myself and doing the household things I am currently doing.

Yeah, yeah, the times are different and times have changed, but being and wanting to be a productive and accountable person in society hasn't changed, has it?

So what do I do? Is it up to me as a parent to keep harping on my kids? When do kids start wanting to do things for themselves and wanting better for themselves? My expectations are not so out of reach that my kids can't attain them. Seriously, my kids are spoiled and that is my fault. I wanted better for my kids, but do I strip away everything from them without stripping away their self-esteem? I just want them to be accountable for how they are living their lives, appreciate what they have. Show some respect. Be aware of the little things they should focus on, keeping an eye on the big picture. How do they want to be seen as a person?

It's gets so frustrating as a parent when I try to be the role model for them, but at what age do kids really start to 'get it'? I love my kids, but...

No comments: