Thursday, June 28, 2012

It Was a Sunglasses Day

I went to bed last night at a decent time, 10:00pm and slept thru til 3:15am so pretty good, but I couldn't go back to sleep so decided to get online and see if anyone was able to chat.  I got a few people, hubby was in a meeting, again!

I was then able to get maybe 45 minutes more of restless sleep, but that was better than nothing.  Showered and finally caught my hubby on chat, always nice to catch up with him on his day went and what the kiddos are up to.  Was also able to chat with another friend then off to breakfast.

I chatted with the families at breakfast to see how everyone was doing, always great to see everyone so enthusiastic about the day.  We all loaded the bus and guess who was the last on the bus?  Our tour leader so he had to sing a song...ha! ha!

Today we went to the Holt office.  After introductions and watching the information video, adoptees were able to read their files if they chose to do so.  Then some adoptees would be meeting their foster mothers...always my favorite thing to witness!

As the foster mothers trickled in, when the adoptee and families returned, they were greeted with the foster mother....sunglasses needed!  I made sure to take pictures for the families as they were not thinking about that as they were emotional meeting with their kids' foster parents.  I just can't describe the scene well enough to put into words...these foster mothers love and care for our babies until they are ready to go to their forever families and think they will never see that child again, but years later, they see them and they hug them and love them like they hadn't missed a day of their lives...many tears were shed and you can see the pride in the eyes of the foster mothers, they can't stop looking at 'their' child, grown up and right there in front of them.  And no, I didn't have my sunglasses on, I had to take pictures!  I tried to take pictures for every family so they would have this memory intact.

All the families, foster mothers, and Holt staff went out to lunch to a Korean BBQ restaurant, always great food!  It is always so fun watching the foster mothers feed their children.  The foster mother sitting with her child kept feeding her, then she would feed the mom and dad, always a laugh, but everyone was a good sport about it.  After lunch is always tough having to say goodbye to the foster mothers, they just don't want to let go again.  I had to push a little to get the families moving, I dislike being the bad person!

We all went to the reception center to see the babies and toddlers, always a favorite for everyone since they can hold the babies and play with them!  And yes, I have to be the bad person again and tell everyone to let go of the babies and it's time to go.  On our way out, one of the toddlers was being helped standing up and the caretaker said something to him and he looked at me and Esther and bowed, OMG, it was the cutest thing ever!!  I could have taken him home with me right then and there!

Now onto Ilsan.  Always love going to Ilsan, feels like home to me.  I also got to see two of my friend's daughters that are volunteering there, so great to see them!  Touring Ilsan, it was so great to have everyone learn about how Harry Holt started the organization, the story is pretty amazing, I'm so lucky to be a part of it.  As we were about to go up to see the grave site of Harry and Bertha, one of the adoptees didn't think she could make it up all the steps, but I told she had to try because she should really see it...on the bus afterwards, she told me how glad she was that she made it up the steps, it truly is something that everyone should see, you never know when you will be back...

Dinner was great, had bulgolgi with some others from the group.  Had a great time talking, drinking soju...I only drank a sip!  No way can I drink in public, right honey?!!

All in all, this is one of my favorite days of the tour, it's an emotional day, but it is a day of discovery for some, a day of sorrow, a day or remorse, a day to remember...I'm so blessed to be have been able to witness this day again.



1 comment:

Debbie Dunham said...

Kim, I can't imagine you being the "bad" person! It must be different to be experiencing this trip as a coordinator instead of a participant. Your experience is invaluable, though (like taking pictures for the families). I hope it continues to go well.