Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Connections

On Saturday, we attended the Holt Midwest picnic. Always a great success, always a lot of families, which I love to see! The little babies and kids are so darn cute! It always surprises me to see so many little adoptees and to think I was once one of those little ones. Now I am to be one of the role models. It was great this time to have a few more adult adoptees there to help in being role models.
Our special guest for the picnic was Kim Deardorff, a fellow adoptee, now living in Nashville. I have heard of Kim but never met him until Friday night. I have to say, I have been blessed to have met him. His story is one everyone needs to hear so please go to: mystorykim.com. At the last minute, I was able to get a few of us adult adoptees to go out to dinner after the picnic. So interesting how we connected for the weekend. One of the adoptees, I have been friends with since the Motherland tour in 2006. One adoptee just moved to Omaha and connected us thru another adoptee from the same Motherland tour. And then Kim Deardorff.
So at dinner, Kim ordered a strawberry margarita, his very first margarita ever at the age of 44!! I have to say, to see Kim enjoy his first margarita was one of pure joy, he sees life with pure enjoyment. Meaning he looks at life as being 'so amazing' and being so fun. It was truly a refreshing time with him. Reminded me to continue to look at life and the little things in life as if I were seeing or experiencing them for the first time. Thanks Kim!
Also, funny to be with just Korean adoptees again, but the connections we make, they were meant to be and we all have to make it a point to do things for ourselves to remind ourselves of where we came from, where ever that may be.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I just watched the video on his story page -- I'm in tears! What a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing this, Kim.

Cassani Family said...

wow how fun!! Hope you find your roots someday!Adriana