Monday, July 14, 2008

Steven Curtis Chapman

I saw his concert last night, what an amazing person and artist, I am in awe of him and his strength, but more so, in his faith. After the tragic loss of his youngest daughter on May 21st, he was able to begin his concert tours, this was his third concert since that life-changing day. I cried almost the entire concert. The strength it took to share his pain and his family's pain and to sing the songs that mean so much to him. Each song having a much deeper meaning.
Then he introduced his sons...his oldest son was playing guitar, his youngest son was playing drums...I couldn't stop crying. I had noticed the guitar player earlier and thought to myself how sad he looked, now the pieces came together. As a parent, I was so proud of them for having the strength and strong faith to be on stage with their father during this difficult time, but also knew that this is what they all needed to do, this is their calling. To share their talents with everyone, even in the darkest of hours.
I had listened to Steven's song, 'Cinderella' before the tragedy occurred and had my husband listen to it as it reminded me of our daughters and him. Now we were hearing Steven sing it in person and the meaning of it was magnified even more. I was amazed at how Steven could still sing it, May 21st wasn't that long ago...but he told the audience he had to sing it, for the meaning of it and the message of what the song entails. Hearing him sing it and watching him sing it, he had to reach within the depths of his soul and his faith to get thru it, I could feel it. And his sons played along with their father during this song...then I noticed his son(on the drums)left after the song was over...my heart broke for him.
The message Steven left with me was to live in the moment, life changes without our control. I live this message, now it's even more important to live the way I want to and the way I was meant to. No matter what bigger power one believes in, life is out of our control. We need to know all the 'stuff' we thought was important really isn't. Focus on what you can control and most importantly, hug our children, enjoy every moment with them and love your partner.
Steven talked about the struggles couples face and how life will continue to test one another, but we have to hang onto the faith, even when we really question it. I have questioned my faith plenty of times throughout my life, but every time, I have come out of it on top and stronger. I have been blessed in my life, I have been tested in life, but thru it all, I have learned to live 'In the Moment'!
If I could have spoken to Steven in person last night, I would have said, 'Thank you Steven for sharing your talents with us, sharing in your pain, and sharing in your faith. Your little angel Maria and the rest of your family are very lucky to have you in their lives!'

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow! Very moving. I hadn't heard about their tragedy. Nikki loves that song. I have a blog written, but not published about living in the moment.

AMY said...

OH my goodness. What an experience. It does remind you to Carpe Diem. Seize The Day!