Thursday, December 6, 2007

Finally an Update!

So I am behind in updating my blog, I apologize but we keep moving around a lot and really have little time in our hotel. So, finally wrote up an update on micro soft word while on the bullet train back to Seoul today.
Finally updating from our day at Ilsan. After the party we ended by dancning with the residents, always great interacting with them and letting our hair down to the music. Bought some more gifts at the gift shop at the vocational center where each residents receives money from their craft and can spend it how they wish. Great to see new crafts being introduced each year.
So some of you are wondering what the story is about the girl I mentioned above that was in Molly’s house. This girl was abandoned by her family when her parents went to LA and her brother went to Tokyo. This young lady ended up living at Ilsan and Molly said she has no will to live…it was quite sad and it was very apparent in her eyes full of tears. She had been found in bed, her vertebrae was collapsing and had terrible bed sores, had surgery to try and correct her spine, but then refused the next surgery. The team that delivered the gifts to half of the cottages said that when they presented this young lady with her present and opened it up for her and held the doll to her face and hands, that she got a smile on her face. Molly had specifically picked out this doll for her. What a wonderful thing to see the magic of sharing such a simple gift…this is what Christmas is all about.
Wednesday update:
Today was the day we headed to the Jeonju Baby Home. First we had the traditional Bi bim bap. Debbie has now admitted that it was she that had the water squirt out of the toilet last year, she had blamed this on Nikki…Nikki, has she apologized to you yet?? We headed to the grocery store to buy the snacks for the kids at the baby home, then off to the toy store!! Everyone on the team was able to pick out any toy they wanted to give to the kids.
We arrived at the baby home and we could hear the kids getting excited that we had arrived. We first saw the baby room, with one set of twins; a boy and a girl and a two week old baby. The other room had the toddlers, around 5-6 of them. We were told that the older kids were getting too anxious and wanted us to come downstairs. We all sat down and the programs began…of course, they did such a great job and were too cute…was able to get it on video this year. I have to say, I am proud of myself for taking pictures, because on all of my past trips, I have not taken ANY. Once the kids got out of their performance dress, they came into the room to have Santa give them their presents. Each child received a jacket and most were very excited about them. Then the toys the team members had just purchased were brought out and what a wonderful surprise for all of them…they were in seventh heaven and was great to see their excitement.

All our team members looked like they were enjoying themselves. I think we tend to forget what a huge impact we make on these children for just this time we are with them. These children look forward to this day all year long, practice very hard on their performances, all as a thank you to our gift team. I can't tell you how coming to this baby home touches my heart, but then when I leave, my strong facade fades and the tears begin...all I can do is think of the faces have just seen, some now for three years. I know they are being taken care of as I was at their age, but I was one of the lucky ones, I got the greatest gift of all, a family of my very own.

This day is always the toughest day for me. I love going there, it's a roller coaster ride of emotions, but I come out of my funk by remembering what a difference made. I have been so blessed.

We rode the KTX train and I think I lost about 20 lbs just sweating from how hot they had the heat on and this went on for 3 hours. It was miserable and my head was about to explode. We made it to our hotel, very very nice one too and had a great dinner. I could not keep my eyes open so decided to actually go to bed at a reasonable time for once, but the best laid plans, ya know? My mom was snoring way too loudly, shows me she was extremely exhausted too, so it took me awhile to fall asleep. Great beds though!

Nice breakfast and my mom and a few others walked on the beach, I had already done that on my motherland tour so didn’t need to go again.

Headed off to the Woon Boong Community Center. This facility has been in Busan since 1992 in a very poor part of the city. Meals are provided for low income families, 150 families benefit from this and those that are housebound, 70 families, meals are delivered to their house. The condition of this facility is in very poor condition but they are starting to do some renovations. This center also serves those with disabilities, young and old.
We had the great privilege of giving teddy bears to the children that attend the center and also to a group of young disabled persons. We presented them with the teddy bears and in return, presented us with fans. Then they performed for us, what a bonus…I did manage to video tape them. The first song they sang was Silent Night, then played the bells. The last song they sang, it was about being happy and thankful for living and you guessed it, I had to put on my sunglasses…but who could blame me, during the song, one of the singers was crying and the teacher told Paul she was crying because she was so happy, that did it! I still managed to video while I was doing the ‘ugly cry’…Paul told us what some of the words were and even he was crying…it was truly touching to see how happy they all were and during the performances, they were all hugging their teddy bears and stroking them with such love…I don’t think anyone could keep a dry eye. We all gave them hugs and they thanked us with such graciousness, this is the reason I come here at Christmas time, to give of myself and to make someone happy. But I get the greatest gift of all, being here to witness all of this. Reminds me of what is truly important in life, to get joy out of the little things in life. Not that I have forgotten that from my previous trips but it is always great to keep reminding myself.

Onto another community center...wow! What a stark contrast this one was to the first one we visited! This is a new facility and was so modern and nice.

Headed to the international fish market, not what I would like to see on my plate for dinner...some of the things are just down right ucky lookin...but you know others may like it and that is just fine as long as they don't force me to eat it.

Back on the bullet train to Seoul...

Tomorrow will be another busy day. We will be participating in a celebration of service to 60 foster mothers and 30 other foster mothers will be in attendance and we will all share lunch together. For those of you that had you child in a foster family before they came home to you, you know how much you appreciated their love and care they gave to your children. We will be thanking them on your behalf tomorrow!

I am going to post this now and will add pictures later. Love and hugs from Seoul, South Korea!!

No comments: