Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Tuesday's Update

Morning to everyone. I had problems signing into the blog site last night as it is written in Korean on the area where I am to sign in, funny, as that is the only area that is written in Korean.
So I am a day behind again...Anyway, our day yesterday was spent at Ilsan. This is the orphanage that Harry Holt built himself for Korean war orphans and children with disabilities. Today, it is soley for those with disabilities and can house up to 300 residents at one time. I think there maybe close to 270 or so living there today. There are 100 housemothers that work at Ilsan in varying shifts to care for the residents within cottages that house those with similar disabilities and ages.

Ilsan is truly a magical place...this is where it all began, the history is amazing and you gain such an appreciation for the Holt's and David Kim's hard work and dedication. For myself as an adoptee, this is more than the beginning, this is my 'first house' as I like to think of this place as my place of 'birth'. I come here and gain such a sense of peace. I think it is because of the wonderful family environment everyone has created here...there are no pretenses, there are no expectations, but to only be a family and see your potential as a human being no matter what circumstances you are in. This is a place where you can feel like you matter as a person, you are no longer judged or looked down upon. The saying for Ilsan is Love in Action and this can truly be seen everywhere.

What an honor it is for me to come here each year and show my gratitude to Harry and Bertha Holt right at their grave site. Where they are buried is a place where they can still watch over all of Ilsan, even in death, they are still watching over their children and loving them.

What a wonderful surprise I received this year, as we got to Molly Holt's house, we were all invited in...this was my first time ever inside the house Harry Holt built and lived in and cared for each new resident that came into his care. Molly Holt continues her father's great love the same way he did. We saw some of the residents that live with Molly, such a wonderful family environment. One resident Molly told us about, but I cannot type about it because it makes me cry when I think about her story and I can't see thru my tears right now...but just know that she is being loved right now and can call Molly and the other residents her family.

After lunch, we were separated into groups and each brought big bags of presents to each of the cottages. This is the reason I keep coming back, to see the joy and the excitement on the faces of the residents when they see us and know that they will receive one gift. It only takes one gift to make them feel like they are on top of the world, if only we could all feel this way, rather than thinking we need so much more. When we enter their cottage, they greet us with hugs and smiles that melt your heart. What a wonderful gift to us.

After playing Santa it was off to the Christmas party. So wonderful to see the gymnasium full of party decorations and the majority of the residents. Though the gift team are the ones responsible for giving this party, we are treated like honored guests. This year, I was so surprised that the Ilsan choir sang for us, they made me cry with their beautiful voices singing Silent Night. Though my camera didn't charge last night, I still had enough battery power to be able too video tape their performance. I am in awe of this choir, I heard them sing at the 50th Anniversary celebration in October 2005, my first time ever to Korea. I have kept this choir in my heart ever since. The joy and their passion for singing were so powerful that I have never forgotten them and now I have them on my very one video...I can't stop crying right now...

3 comments:

AMY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AMY said...

WOW! You had some fun things to experience! The choir AND being invited into Molly's home. That is way cool. You can upload your video onto the site you know. I'd love to see it if it's possible, just as long as you aren't shaking the camera too much from crying. Hope you write up the story of the gal staying with Molly once you've decompressed a bit. Aren't you all going to Pusan soon?

AMY said...

Sistah, I'm bummed that I missed you! I was away from the pooter for a moment! I don't know what comment you are speaking of. Everyone I see is in English.

Yeah, I know protocol...

Hope you have a great day. You are visiting the baby home that twisted my heart big time.

Oh, and #1 sent you an email. She made up a comic for you with pics from last year's trip. I didn't read it before she sent it. So there was no parental control over it before it was sent. xoxo