Sunday, December 2, 2007

Leaving on a jet plane is right!



Schedule of Events for what I thought was going to be a relaxing day and night before my huge flight, but no, it ended up being a Wacky Friday! Get comfy, it’s a long one…
1:00pm had panic attack thinking my passport was expired. Okay, so let me explain, I’m really not that blonde…heehee…as I am reading my passport once again, on the expiration date, this is how it reads: 07 JUL/JUI 08. So! Thinking now that the expiration date was July of 2007, which I would have been hosed! I call Skip in a panic…he’s playing basketball…no answer, I actually call his office on his office phone, which I never do…find out he’s out to lunch meaning he’s playing basketball…call his cell phone again as I am trying to find the phone number for the post office nearby for the passport dept…can’t find it! Yes, Skip answers, I yell that my passport is expired and please come home! Umm, he is still playing basketball and needs to shower…hurry up and get home now I plead!
I Google the passport agency info, call the number listed, listen to the endless, for this push, 1…finally got a human on the other end and I try to be as calm as I could and ask her if she could clarify what I am seeing as my expiration date for my passport. I try to tell her what it says, I’m talking too fast and I’m confusing her she tells me, so take a deep breath woman! I tell her the date of issuance then the numbers under the expiration date…PHEW!! It wasn’t expired. So looking above where I described how the date read, it means July 07, 2008….my heart is racing, my face is hot as a fire poker, Skip comes home and I just got done on the phone and tell him it’s not expired! I’m so surprised he didn’t clobber me…he missed another game of basketball on my account…for those of you that know Skip, his basketball on MWF is the most important thing and he will even schedule meetings around that!
I’m trying to calm down, Kora is home and has been in my room watching tv…I am exhausted now from all of this…so now I’m good, right?? Pause, pause, pause, pause…NOT!
3:01pmI received a flight cancellation notice in email from United saying my morning flight from OMA to DEN was cancelled. What? I can’t miss this flight, it will mess up every other flight and too important since we are going to Korea!
Called Paul
Called Debbie, not available out to lunch, do you have her cell phone number? No! Oh good gravy, what do I do now!
Rose calls, asks me how I’m doing and if I’m ready…uh yeah, but my flight was just cancelled for the morning! She suggested I call Azumano…great idea!
Called Azumano Travel: spoke with Erle, he told me we were flying out of Chicago, uh, no our itinerary says we are flying into DEN…never received an update itinerary…sent new itinerary, phew, everything was good…. NOT!
On email, blackberry and phone…Skip sends me an email saying Chicago flight has been cancelled!! OMG!! Panic mode again!
Call Paul, Juliet, can’t reach Lori…no one else is getting the flight cancellation notices so I have to keep them updated.
Call Azumano, Erle is at Lunch, it’s an emergency! Transferred to Laurie…set up any other flights? While she was looking for flights, as I’m talking to her, Taylor gets home from school…I try to tell him I’m in panic mode with my flights, I ask him to text dad..Erika gets home…Taylor explains the situation to her.
Maybe we leave tonite? Laurie calls back, so I tell her to look for flights going out tonight, she had to call me back.
I’m on email, blackberry, and two phones again to call everyone.
3:30-Laurie calls back, flight is available to San Fran thru DEN…let me talk to Lori and Juliet..can’t reach Lori, call Skip for him to call Steve to call Lori; Juliet is fine with leaving tonight, Kevin doesn’t know yet.
Call Laurie back to book flights…Lori was notified by Steve, she is ready to go too
Laurie calls back, says there are flights available, says to call United to guarantee seats, I’m still in panic mode so I ask her to call on our behalf.
4:00pm-Skip gets home, thank goodness, my hero! Now I have another ear to listen for the phones! I have yet to shower for the day…I know, I know…but I did decorate ‘my’ tree in the entry way earlier!
Laurie calls to confirm we are all four on the flights for tonight, yeah!! Please arrange a hotel for us…Laurie tells me there is a $63.00 one….umm, no and I think I spoke for all of us, BUT I wanted to make sure so back on the phone to Juliet to let her know flights are confirmed and what hotel…she was in agreement with me, thank goodness! Think I was in the $63 one for my Motherland tour, uh, not good…the bathroom was smaller than my pantry at home. Not a good sign.
Running around like crazy packing after showering..leaving at 5:00pm for the airport, pick up Lori on the way. What a trooper she was, she had just gotten home ten minutes before we showed up!
5:30pm-everyone is at the airport!!! Checking in for our flight, flight is delayed! Will not make DEN connection…now what do we do?? Ticket agent finds a flight out of DEN to SFO on Frontier, are there four seats available?
Need to call the Browns; they are already thru security, tell them about the delay and about the flight on Fronteir
Say goodbye to Skip and Lori and I are thru security; Lori is a bad girl, she was bringing peanut butter and crackers on the plane…ummmm, didn’t know that wasn’t allowed? Guess it goes in the ‘paste’ category? Learn something new everyday! So everyone be aware of that peanut butter…does that go for cheese and crackers too? Anyone want to test that one?
See the Browns having a beer! Perfect! Wow, can’t believe we all made it to the airport in this amount of time allotted.
I think the amount of emails I got from 3:01 was eight between United’s updates with cancellations and rescheduling and Azumano sending out the new itineraries, but now come to think of it, I think I had more emails…
Needless to say, I was frantic all afternoon!! First with my panic attack and then dealing with the flight issues…but we all made it to San Fran by 11:30, waited FOR—EV-ER for the hotel shuttle…made it to the hotel by 12:30…got to bed at 2:30am…
Did I just sound like I was whining? Did anyone grab some cheese? Really, at that point I didn’t care, I was rockin! I don’t ever want to do that again though, too stressful. The reasoning behind the flight cancellations? Omaha was to get ice and freezing rain from 6am-9am, our flight was to depart at 6am.
I want to apologize to my kids, sorry it was so frantic and I didn’t get a minute to even talk to you before I left, you guys are the best! And Kora, I’m so glad you are feeling better, what a good daddy you have! And Skip, you really are my hero, you move heaven and earth for me everytime and know that I love you with my whole heart and you know I really appreciate you. My family has always been my priority and without their love and wonderful support, I would not be able to do what I am doing this week. I miss you guys and I thank you for being my family…with love and hugs…

No comments: