Friday, April 11, 2008

Our Final Full Day in NYC

Can't believe this was our last full day in New York City! What a wonderful trip we all had. For everyone, except Erika, this was the first time visiting NYC. Though Erika really didn't have time to do all the tourist things. That is why I plan such trips. I want to give my kids the opportunity to see all the sites both in the United States and soon, around the world. We have done all the typical tourist things, yet we had a lot of time for shopping and sleeping in. That has really balanced out well for us this week. As usual, we've made some great memories. And for those out there reading my blog, I wish for you to be able to take time out of your busy lives and travel and see the world. Even the most obvious tourist spots, enjoy them and create your own memories.

Our Friday started off great with being able to sleep in. I love sleeping in, I am not a morning person and I can and always do admit that. On our walks, we always see these trees. I find them so interesting as I look at them all together, no leaves, but yet still so beautiful:
Close to our hotel is the New York Public Library:
We then took a taxi to go to Ground Zero. Here is Erika hailing a taxi for us, she's pretty good at it now:



The entrance to the World Trade Center Path Station:



An informational stand showing the pictures of 9-11:
The plans for the memorials:

Though Ground Zero is completely fenced in due to construction, there are some holes within the fenced area in order for the public to see in:
Looking from this angle, I can only imagine how much the skyline changed with the two towers no longer standing. How tragic to even think of what happened in this location and being in the area. The tragedy happened in New York City, but the tragedy hit all of us, all around the world and we must never forget:After being at Ground Zero, we caught some lunch at a deli around the corner called The Stage Door Deli. What an experience that was ordering our lunch. The typical New York deli that I have seen portrayed so often on tv . And of course, with this authentic deli, the sandwiches were amazing and delicious! I would recommend this deli to everyone.

Trying to flag down a taxi back to our hotel, we were not so successful so we decided to take the subway. I've only been on the subway in Korea to compare and I do have to say, I like the subway in Korea way better. The kids' first subway ride:

Dinner was at the Stardust Diner on 50th and Broadway. This is a type of diner that the wait staff sing songs the entire time. Once you get past how loud it is in there, the singing is actually very good. I would recommend this to those that really want to have this type of experience, but I recommend you go before 5:30 because it gets very crowded after that. They sing songs that you really want to sing along to. Most of the staff are 'training' to get on broadway shows, of course. Once again, we had dinner with the Parker Hanson's. We laugh that we have to go to New York City to catch up with one another.
This is one of the wait staff singing:

Of course, having to walk back to our hotel, we had to stop at Toys R Us. I know, I know, we have those stores back home, BUT this one is three levels and has a ferris wheel in it:

And I am always facinated by how talented people are with legos:

My observation walking back to the hotel: it is Friday and more tourists are in town and therefore, the streets are even more crowded if that is even possible. Being in New York City reminded me of being in Seoul. There are so many people walking in the streets, all the vendors along the streets and the homeless along the way. I don't think I could live in the heart of NYC. I wouldn't be able to handle living in a high rise apartment, I love nature and being able to see it from my kitchen windows everyday and knowing my kids can go outside and play at anytime, I would miss that. I am thankful for where I live and for my house and for the space! Erika is funny, she says she is tired of walking everywhere and when we get home, she never wants to walk anywhere again! But with that being said, I have to say I didn't notice a lot of overweight people here. Walking is a good thing, such simple exercise, but it did wear me out too. All in all, our vacation was a huge success and we didn't have to buy extra luggage either!

1 comment:

Cassani Family said...

I'd love to take my kids to more places, I so agree!
However, there is always the money issue!
I would have to go to work to make money to take them anywhere. SO... I guess I am waiting until our ship comes in! Adriana
thanks for sharing , now I feel I have traveled there vicariously.