Monday, February 15, 2010

Being Korean...

Is sometimes not obvious to some people when they see me, even to other Koreans. I have to laugh when this happens to me, which it did when I was at the Korean church yesterday to celebrate the Lunar New Year. But then again, I am always spoken to in Korean immediately when others see me. I am not offended either way, it's just the way it is. When someone speaks to me in Korean, I tell them I do not speak Korean and I get the usual surprised look, but then I explain to them about being adopted and it seems to click.

I get such a great response from everyone at the Korean church too, they are so nice to me and to my family. I feel so welcome. The entire church has been so open and supportive to all our adoptive families here. And the bonus, the great Korean food!

I have people ask me if I want to learn to speak Korean and my answer is always, no. I don't have an interest in learning it, it doesn't bother, even when I am in Korea. I feel it's all in how I present myself too, I am not defensive, I am not ashamed. It's just the way it is, I grew up in America and therefore, I speak English.

When I was in Vietnam and Cambodia, I was asked if I was Vietnamese and Cambodian, so now I'm confused...okay, not really!

3 comments:

AMY said...

I was thinking as I read the first part of the blog, "But the Vietnamese and Cambodians wanted to claim you too!." "Oh, what a figure!"

Anonymous said...

Amy, every time I wear the clothes from Vietnam, I have to laugh at our experience there...are you wearing a bra?? YES I am!! Oh, but I don't miss the sweating-oh boy!

Cassani Family said...

well that is neat. I am so funny because I want to learn Korean after being there! After I get my Chinese down that is.. I love being able to speak to other people in their own native tongue. Partly out of respect and also because they so appreciate it wehn you make an effort. Yes I am Amercian but I speak fluent German, and dabble in Spanish, French, and Italian. I also like mingling and working with my Chinese along with attempting; hello, thank you, I love you and goodbye, in other languages.