Wednesday, February 17, 2010

When do We as Parents Stop Worrying...

About our kids? At what age do we feel 'comfortable' about what our kids do on their own? My son will have had his driver's license for one week tomorrow. This winter weather, I love, but with him driving, it makes me crazy with worry! So when do I cut the apron strings? I cut them reluctantly, I put trust in my son to drive around and I even have him driving my daughter to school in the mornings this week...talk about stress!! But, my daughter said it beautifully yesterday after I picked her up from school, she said her brother was a good driver. Phew! Of course he is, he's been driving the same route since the beginning of August. But still! Anyway, if my daughter says he's a good driver, then he is, she tells me everything that happens during the morning drives to school with dad...yep, he can't get away with anything!!

Then I have a daughter in college...major stress!! But I remember when I was her age and the freedom. The saying, 'Out of sight, out of mind'...yes, I keep telling myself that. Talk about having to put trust into your child! Oh, but she is no longer a child at the age of 19, right? Will I stop worrying when she has graduated from college and is on her own? I doubt it. And I am the least of the worriers between me and my husband, he has all the gray hairs, mine are just hidden.

3 comments:

Cassani Family said...

you pray to God and have him watch over them.. that is how I keep my sanity and let go and cut the apron strings

AMY said...

Who has gray hair? Where?

Debbie said...

I don't think we ever stop worrying. I still worry about my grown-up, married son -- I even worry about his wife! Isn't that what we parents do?