Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Good Question

My youngest daughter's homework for confirmation always has a parent question. I have answered these same questions from my two older kids when they were in confirmation. So the questions are now directed to my hubby.

The question: "Who have you met that made a difference in your life and how did meeting this person change your life?"

Makes a person think, doesn't it? I think I remember my response when I answered this question. So I waited to hear my hubby's answer. To my surprise, he named the same person I had! Dr. David Kim, Harry Holt's co-founder of Holt Children's Services, Holt International.

For me, David Kim is the person that I looked up to. I only came to this realization as an adult only because I have grown and matured. It's rare that most of us will meet the person/people we look up to. Now I have the privilege of serving on the Board of Directors with David. I feel like a little kid though when I am around him, think it's so surreal that I am in his company. I am in awe of all the stories he shares. It's amazing that he started working for Harry Holt when he was just 25 years old. Now, I can say that I truly know him! Amazing.

So, this past weekend, Eugene had their annual Holt dinner and auction. I really wanted to attend, but I was lucky enough to be included during the live auction via a friend at the auction. I won the bidding on Grandma Holt's necklace, that's right, it belonged to Grandma Holt! Such a priceless gift and I really wanted to make sure it stayed within the "Holt" family.

I received the necklace this morning and I am now wearing it. I can't believe I am wearing something of Grandma's, the legacy just blows me away. I got to meet Grandma Holt at an Omaha picnic, my first time ever meeting her. I gave her a birthday present and she sent me two thank you cards. I treasure them and the picture with her. And now, I get to treasure something that was hers. I am so lucky and humbled to wear such a gift.

My two idols in my life and I have met them...Amazing Grace!

3 comments:

Debbie Dunham said...

I am SO jealous! We had another event that we HAD to attend that evening; otherwise, I would have given you a run for your money! How about a picture?

Anonymous said...

Debbie, the exact reason why I asked Nikki if you guys were at the auction! I knew I would have been bidding against you and I was worried! I will try and find the picture that was sent to me and email it to you.

Cassani Family said...

YEAH Want to see the PICTURE!!! David Kim's book is WHY we adopted MAtthew!