Monday, December 15, 2008

A Day of Hope and Grace

I knew what today's event would entail, I have been preparing for quite sometime now, but when it comes right down to it, I am not prepared at all. I haven't described the other days' events because I haven't processed this week quite yet. But today, what an emotional day as an adoptee, mother, and an adoptive mother.
Our day was spent touring a facility for unwed mothers outside of Seoul. I've known about this shelter for a couple of years now, but this was my very first visit. What an oasis for mothers that are pregnant and not married. The support and education they receive would otherwise not be provided for them if this facility didn't exist. How tragic for a mother if that were to occur when her life is in turmoil over how to care for herself, let alone the birth of her child.
When an unwed mother is not accepted in her own family or by her own culture, this place becomes her home and the staff and other mothers become her family. So the name of this shelter translates to 'Graceful Garden'. I loved the logo for this shelter, a tree with hearts as it's leaves.
As I mentioned, I've known about this shelter only because my husband and I helped a little. And to go there in person and see the name, 'Graceful Garden'; my youngest daughter's Korean name translates to 'Grace'. How fitting is that, that this facility would be for birth mothers and with my small involvement of support, my daughter's name is forever a part of it. I have always been grateful to my birth mother, never knowing her, but knowing she made the most heart-wrenching decision of her life and my youngest daughter's birth mother did the same.
Graceful Garden gives these mothers a sense of Hope, no matter the choice they will make for their babies. My Hope for them is that they never regret the choices they make. A mother's love never dies when there is Hope and Grace.

2 comments:

AMY said...

Oh Sistah, how beautiful. Do you have a picture of the logo? What a blessing to go and see this place open and taking care of undwed mothers. Yea! God is good.

Cassani Family said...

Kimchee, what has been your itinerary this year? I'd love to know all the places you have been visiting or will see.