Friday, June 26, 2009

New Information?

Maybe there is new information out there for me about my past...today, Skip and I went to see the hospital I was placed in after I was found. Quite the van ride, as those that have traveled to Korea with me, you know what the driving is like here and the traffic. Needless to say, we were very glad that Skip and I decided to make this journey with just the two of us because we would have had some complaining and maybe sick kids. The kids went on the tour with the rest of the group that was sight seeing. We would meet them at lunch once we were finished.

After much traffic, we finally arrived at the hospital, or at least the hospital that is now currently there. The original hospital had been torn down. Our translator told us that the person at the hospital said our appointment was scheduled for yesterday. Anyway, we were able to get the gist of it and then was able to look at an old photo album of pictures from the original hospital, the City Baby Hospital. I took a couple of pictures of interesting ones but it takes too long to post on here so will have to post pictures when I get home. No pictures of me though, but then again, there was a group shot that I could be in, but we will never know as it was shot around the time I would have been at the hospital.

Then it was off to show Skip the orphanage I was in for 3 1/2 years of my life. I had visited there back in 2006 so wanted to show Skip. After much driving in circles, we finally found it. I'm very glad I had Skip with me this time, he's very good at asking questions, as when I was there in 2006, I wasn't able to comprehend that I was at the orphanage so really didn't ask too many questions about my paper. I was finally able to clarify and translate more of what was written on my admittance paper. There had been several dates stamped on the one piece of paper and it was nice to finally figure out what each date meant.

Then one number written in the middle, which looked like a case number, the social worker and director said this could lead to more information. The case number came from the children's welfare corporation, which is still in operation today. So the social worker made a call and they will be looking to see if there is any information regarding this case number on my paper. Who knows what will come of this, but it was great to be able to get just a morsal more of information even if it doesn't lead to anything else. The puzzle pieces keep coming together and the the picture is becoming clearer.

We didn't get to see the kids in the orphanage, they were in school, but we did see the babies sleeping and the 3-4 yr olds eating lunch. So off to lunch ourselves...well, with such bad traffic, by the time we met our group, they were done eating. No biggie, I wasn't hungry and neither was Skip so we walked around, thinking we would shop but came up with a slushy and mini Dunkin Donuts. Great lunch! And what did we do for dinner? Outback Steakhouse...it was yummy! I love Korean food, but I have plenty of days for eating Korean food.

Now we are packed to travel further south. It's really hard to pack clothes just for 4 days and pack the rest up to leave at this hotel. A family of five is not easily packed into carry on sized suitcases, but you know the Hansons, we did it! We are bringing donations also for an orphanage and the unwed mother's shelter that Kora's birth mother stayed at before giving birth to Kora. Our little way of giving back for helping her mother while she was in need at such a critical and lonely time in life. We pray for her everyday and hope she knows we think of her often and thank her for giving us our precious and lovely Kora.

No comments: