Saturday, April 17, 2010

Being Presentable

Throughout the weekdays when I am the only one in the house, I like to have my house clean and 'presentable' just in case unexpected guests arrive. I've done that in previous houses, but when I thought about it, my current house and location, how many people will stop by because they were in the neighborhood? Not too many.

I laughed to myself yesterday as I strapped on my backpack vacuum cleaner, that's right, a vacuum cleaner that is the size of a backpack and you wear it like a backpack. I found it online because my wood floors are too soft to handle any kind of bumps or scraps...really drives me crazy. Plus the fact that the dark color shows the dust and every crumb. So one will find me either with the backpack vacuum or the Swiffer dry vac on a daily basis.

Not only are my floors clean, but my kitchen counters must be cleared off and clean too. But I don't go as far as dusting furniture or shelves, I'm not 'that' OCD, just lazy. So yesterday after school, my daughter had a friend over and as she was washing her hands, she said, "Wow, your house is so clean, I wish my house was this clean, we have toys everywhere!" See, even an 11yr old can appreciate my efforts, too funny. I told her I remember those days of toys all over and that we have been way past that point in our lives because of the ages of my kids. She still has two younger brothers in her family.

So my house is presentable, BUT I am not. I have my hair pulled up in a messy bun, no make up and a wardrobe of layered old t-shirts (some are ten years old too) and baggy sweats. If someone rings my doorbell and this is how I look, then I will not answer the door. Yep, that is my daily look. So why do I even bother with keeping my house looking presentable?? Because I love my house and I love how it looks when it's clean!

No comments: