Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sorry Kids, But You Have to Choose

Every year, I go thru the same thing at the beginning of the school year and fill out forms for each of my kids. And we have to check what nationality they are. Now with the official 2010 Census, I had to fill it out again.

With my two older kids, what do I check? Caucasian or Asian? Usually for school forms, I check both, could I do that on the Census? No. So what nationality do my kids HAVE to choose? They are 50/50 so either way, they diss the other. I was surprised that Korean was even an option on the Census.

I read on the Yahoo page about this issue yesterday, but it referred to being half black and half caucasian. Just like President Obama and he checked black(sorry mama Obama).

So if you check one race over the other, does that make that race seem more important? Do I tell my kids to choose Asian so they can get ahead in life and use the system? No, I wouldn't do that.

My two kids will have to face this for the rest of their lives until the options include more choices or that you can check two(or more)races. I guess if we are getting technical, my kids would have to check three races. Good Lord, getting really carried away now. For now kids, sorry, but you will have to choose just one.

No comments: