Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Kids' Tryouts

No matter what sport or activity my kids choose to tryout for, I always feel I go thru it with them. I don't mean as a stage mom, but as a mom that wants the outcome my kids are hoping for. I've done my thing already, I don't live thru my kids and what they do.

My kids have tried out for soccer, gymnastics, baseball, skating, track, cheerleading, and basketball. Each time, I have felt I was going thru it with them. I usually don't stress out about things, but when it comes to my kids and their interests, I tend to stress out. I don't like seeing them be disappointed, though I know that is all a part of life.

The waiting for the results is what kills me and I try not to show it, especially in front of my kids. There have been many times where the results weren't exactly what my kids had hoped for, but that's when we have the talk about making the best of it and giving it 110% no matter what. I tell my kids that even though the result wasn't what they had hoped for, the coaches, instructors and so on are still watching and will remember for future tryouts.

Last year, my youngest daughter, who is in competitive cheerleading, tried out and the result was very disappointing to her and to us. She didn't make the level we thought she should have been placed in. We discussed the situation with the coaches and I even had her talk to her coach to show that she was serious about her sport and learn how to handle these disappointing situations, even at the age of 11. In the end, we came to the conclusion that she would remain on the current team, make the most of it, be a leader and have fun with it. She did just that and had a fun year.

Tryouts this year just ended over the Easter weekend. The wait just for her to try out was almost three hours at the gym, we thought we would be a little early, but ended up being towards the end of the list. Anyway, my daughter held in there and did awesome, of course I would think that, but really, she did everything that was asked of her. So then the wait began for the entire weekend!! I tried not to think of it, but it was hard not to.

Sunday evening arrived and I thought just maybe they would post the placements earlier than they had stated, but no, the postings were even later than scheduled. Finally, there it appeared on the website, the placements! I clicked on the link, I scrolled down the pages to find my daughter's name...seemed like an eternity...and there it was, her name on the team that she wanted!! And the bonus part, the level of the team was two levels higher than what she is currently on! She jumped from a level three team to a level five team! For those not in competitive cheerleading, this is a HUGE jump and a huge accomplishment, especially for my daughter being in the sport for only three years.

To see the joy and excitement on my daughter's face, truly priceless!! After the disappointment of last year's results, I reminded her that being patient, making the best of the year and giving it her all paid off and that she showed thru/out the year she was serious and now she has been rewarded. I was so relieved for her and excited at the same time, I don't think my heart stopped racing for about an hour.

I'm so glad tryouts are over for all of my kids, I don't think I could take it anymore. I need to rest up for next year's tryouts!

No comments: