Wednesday, June 9, 2010

When Will People Stop Taking My Generosity for Granted?

I have had this post in my save file for awhile. At the time I wrote it, I was very,very angry because the friends I lent money to cut their monthly payment from $100 to $10 and WITHOUT telling us first. Imagine me opening the envelope, looking at the check and wondering if I was seeing things correctly. I thought I was seeing the amount wrong. So I asked my hubby if he had talked to these friends about this change in the amount, no he hadn't. I immediately sent an email to these 'friends' stating we should have been notified, common courtesy don't you think since we were generous enough to get them out of a tough situation? No response back from them, wow really? So now the second check came and it's still for $10. We all face tough situations in life, even I do believe it or not. But something like this, yeah, I would make it priority number one to be courteous to anyone that had given us money. So why didn't I post this at the time I wrote it? Because I was afraid that these 'friends' would read my blog. Well, with the check amounts still the same and NO letter to me stating the change, I have every right to post my feelings.

Here's the original post:
I have learned a lot of lessons in my almost 43 years of life. I don't have a Ph.D, but I do have a bachelor's degree, and I have a lot of common sense, so shouldn't I have been smart enough to know better? I don't mind helping people when they are having a tough time, I love being generous, but...ugh! People disappoint me, the charities that I donate to don't disappoint me, at least I know where my money is going to.

People on the other hand...I have been frustrated lately and this life lesson is only adding to my frustration. So do I have to let the people know my expectations? I've done that, yet life goes on for them like this never occurred. As my hubby would do, do I have to have a 'come to Jesus' meeting with them? At this rate, I don't even think that would work. What about MY life and my family's life? What about my hopes and dreams for myself and my family, OUR future?

We pay the same electric, gas, mortgage, etc. bills. We pay for college tuition(soon we will pay for two), gas for our cars, groceries, all what I call life's basics. We've been smart about budgeting, heck I'm still a penny pincher. Since moving 'out of the city', I've been even better at saving money with not going to the grocery store as often, eating out or shopping at the malls, even shopping online has drastically dropped for me. I am not one to get a manicure or pedicure, I haven't even gotten my hair cut for over two years. I don't belong to a gym, my hubby does, but only pays for the days he actually goes.

So why do others that needed the help in the first place do all of the above and then some? How do I get past this? Let it go? Forget because I offered in the first place? I'm not able to do that, not with the way the economy is today, we can't take for granted that my hubby will have his job till HE decides to retire. He's been stressed down to the core, it sucks for him and for our family. And don't even go there that I could go work, it's not about that.

I think past myself, I look beyond myself, I give of myself, why can't other people do the same?

No comments: