Friday, June 4, 2010

Blogging for Yourself

Yet this is so public. So why do people choose to use such a forum? For attention? Yes, sometimes. I blog, Facebook, and Twitter as a way to express my feelings. Yes, blogging started off as a form of journaling. When I first heard about blogging, I didn't understand the concept and why would people want their thoughts so public?

I began my blog when I decided to travel to Korea for the first time. It was the best way to journal my thoughts and also was a great way to have family and friends keep up with my travels without me having to write each person individually. Saved so much time when really, you repeat yourself in an email or letter. When other people have traveled, I told them this was the best way to have their family and friends 'travel' with them.

Why do I keep blogging even when I am not traveling? This is still a great way to write down my thoughts when I feel like it. I don't blog everyday, sometimes I don't have anything to write about and the days that I do blog, it's usually about my daily, sometimes boring life. How I blog or post on Facebook is really who I am. My life isn't some great fairy tale, I don't think my life is better than those out there, I really have my ups and downs and sometimes throwing out my feelings to the world is a great cathartic moment for me. This is also a way for family and friends to keep up with what I'm doing if they so choose to read my blog.

Everything with technology is public so people have to realize when they choose these mediums, strangers will read it along with family, friends, co-workers, etc. The work place, this is the part people forget. When on a blog or Facebook, Twitter, etc, you are representing yourself, but also the company, business you work for. This raises controversy, what about privacy and when a person is on their own time and not at work? Common sense, you don't want to post or blog about something that you would be embarrassed about in an everyday situation. You are still representing yourself. If people have an issue about being able to say or do what they want on their own time, then public mediums are not for them.

If you respect yourself, you respect your environment, work, organization, etc and care about how you represent yourself. I am 43 years old, I should act my age, correct? That doesn't mean I have to act all prim and proper all the time or not have fun, it's about knowing when and how to behave in certain situations and I am still modeling for my kids and therefore, I am representing my family. So I will continue to blog, Facebook, and sometimes Tweet, but all with the utmost respect for myself.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I love your blog!!!! Please don't give it up!!!! (doesn't sound like you are!!!). I love you and feel so blessed to call you my friend.