Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Spring Storms

Our winter was bad and now the start of spring storms has started off bad. Last night, as I was watching the radar on my iPad, I had made sure to tell my son to start coming home sooner than he had planned. My husband also decided to come home earlier. Thank goodness, just as my son pulled in, the rain began. All cars were pulled into the garage and everyone was home.

As the rain began, we saw it off in the distance and heading our way, along with the wind. The cover on the paddle boat was beginning to blow, so my son ran down and grabbed it. Needless to say, we had no idea of what was going to happen in the next few minutes.

The rain began coming down harder, the winds picked up and as the entire family watched from the kitchen window, we knew it wasn't looking good for our trampoline. We had bought a really good and sturdy trampoline, brought it with us to our new house and had the trampoline company reinstall it and anchor it down in five places with really strong and long anchors. As the wind began getting stronger and stronger, the trampoline began to lift on one side, then we could barely see it thru the rain and then it was gone. That is when we decided to head to the basement.

The storm was unbelievable, the waves were at least six feet tall and the hail was pounding. No tornado warning, just winds at over 70mph. As we continued to watch the storm from our basement, the rain came down in sheets. As we checked around the house, I looked out my bedroom window upstairs and saw the neighbor's entire dock and pontoon boat missing. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I immediately told my family because I was still in shock that both were completely gone. Then later we saw that their three season room, all the screens had blown out.

Across the lake, I also noticed a house that had the siding all blown out at the top and felt horrible. We lost our dock box full of life vests, skis, and so on, but those can be replaced. Our dock and canopy took the brunt of the storm. We are still amazed that our boat didn't blow away, a few more minutes of the wind and it would have been gone. All in all, about three docks and boats were damaged in our cove.

Our upper deck furniture and three season furniture was blown everywhere. We got all of it back but one cushion, not bad. Funny how our little Buda statue stayed in it's place on the table on the deck, never moved.

I always say how much I like watching storms but this one was way too scary for me. I am just very thankful everyone was home and no one was hurt and our house remained intact.

Here's our trampoline two houses down:

No comments: