Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Climbing Mt. Everest

That has never been a life goal of mine, but my Mt. Everest was my own bed. We all know the feeling of coming home to our own bed after being away. When I came home from the hospital, my excitement was building as I was thinking of being in my own bed and getting some rest. If you have ever been in the hospital, you know you don't get any rest there!

As I got ready to snuggle into bed, I stood beside it and there it was, Mt. Everest. I had forgotten how tall my bed was. My trusty hubby was beside me on the ready to give assistance, but scared he would make me hurt if he touched me wrong. So one big breath and one knee up, wow, where the heck was my finger hold to pull myself up? I found my body pillow, held on tight and pulled up my other leg. There I was, on all fours, finally on my bed. Deep breath. Now what? I had to turn around to lay down. As I scooted around on all fours, I looked like an animal tampering down the area before settling down. Quite the site I'm sure.

As I sat down, I slowly began the process of laying down, I now looked like a turtle not wanting to be on her back. Holding my breath, grunting, ohhing, yes, another pretty site, but the comfort of my bed, oh so worth it!

After a nap came the task of getting out of bed. I don't have the luxury of the hospital bed so here it goes, getting out of a completely flat bed. I was figuring out how to roll onto my right side, so now I looked like one of those beetles stuck on it's back with arms and legs grasping at air. I rolled to my side, got my legs untangled from the covers, big breath! I pushed myself up and sat on the edge of the bed, phew! My feet are far from the floor, but luckily I can sort of slide off of the bed.

Wow, how many times am I going to go thru this ordeal? But today, I am feeling better and I have mastered my Mt. Everest.

2 comments:

Jaci Monaghan said...

I hope you start feeling better soon!

Kelly said...

Thinking of you!!!