Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Basic Skills for a Cause

I learned how to knit when I was very little, but never got past the basic stitch. I learned how to crochet when I started my career after college. Once again, I never got past the basic stitch.

Once I learned how to crochet, everyone in my family received blankets that year. Then a few years later, everyone received scarves that I had knitted.

So with all this 'creativity' streak, I had a lot of yarn left over. I have been meaning to donate it to my church to use towards quilts. Here we are today and I still have that box of yarn. Sure sign of laziness on my part.

But, I can redeem myself. Yesterday, I read my church's newsletter and there it was, a call for prayer shawls. I called the person in charge and I asked her if I could make the shawls with my basic skills. 'Of course you can!' she told me. So there was my solution for the box of yarn that was intended for my church anyway.

I had heard of prayer shawls a few years ago. That fascinated me, but I never went further with the fascination. Now I can. I can use my basic skills, pray over the shawl and make a difference in someone's life. Such a little gesture, but something I am able to do. I find it heart-warming to know that my little gesture will give someone comfort, a hug, a prayer in their time of need.

Now that box of yarn for my church IS going to the church, a few years late, but in such a great form! I hope the person(s) that receives my prayer shawl(s) feels the comfort, love, gratitude, blessing, and prayer for healing I have put into making the shawl. Amen.

2 comments:

AMY said...

This is so very cool sistah! I'm so proud of you. The basic stitch is all you need to give a special gift to someone who could use the reminder that he or she are loved and cared for!

Jaci Monaghan said...

Very cool, Kim!!