Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Connections

As we go thru life, we come across people from all over. I'm lucky enough to be able to meet people from all over the world. Why is it that I'm always amazed at these chance meetings, or are they chance meetings? For me, these are not chance meetings. God puts me in places where I was meant to be, to meet people I was meant to meet. His timing is always great.

I get a sense of renewal, a sense of hope, a sense of life. I was in D.C. last week and the latter part of the week was to celebrate Holt International's 55th anniversary. I can't believe it was just six years ago that my life completely changed and for the better. I had made my very first trip back to Korea to celebrate Holt Korea's 50th anniversary, then to Eugene, Oregon to celebrate Holt International's 50th anniversary, then join Holt International's Board of Directors. What a whirlwind!

So here I was, in Washington, D.C. to celebrate Holt's 55th anniversary. I met so many amazing people that have a heart for the children of the world. I met more adoptees from all over the world. But I had forgotten that for some of these adoptees, this was their first time ever to be around other adoptees. I remember my first time meeting other adoptees. I was overwhelmed, I was in disbelief, I was so happy to meet others with this same connection. I felt so welcome, I felt a bond, I felt grateful.

When adoptees meet one another, there seems to be a feeling of oneness, a feeling of kinship, no matter where one resides. Sometimes, words didn't need to be spoken, looking at one another, we just knew what the feelings were. When we were in a group and one person was talking, you could see the rest of the group all nodding our heads in agreement, the common feelings sewing us together. This quilt of oneness, blanketing us, comforting us, bonding us. This is what it is all about for me, getting together, sharing, hoping, dreaming, bonding, and creating life-long friendships all over the world.

No comments: