Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What are You?

I have heard that question many, many times in my life.  Should I feel offended?  Usually I don't only because I've been asked that question so many times by many, many people, both white people and people of other ethnicities.  So how do I answer this question?  Usually I laugh inside because, there's that same question!

When I tell people I am Korean, most are surprised, not sure why since it seems really obvious to me, but most people assume I am Chinese.  But I have also been to Vietnam and Cambodia and the natives there thought I was their nationality.  I've also been told that I could pass as a native in Hawaii.

Then I had the incident of the person searching for her sister from Korea.  You can read that from my previous posts.  The one other question asked of me was what blood type was I.  I had absolutely no idea what blood type I am.  I've been thru many surgeries so one would think I would know, but it's one of those things I just didn't think I needed to memorize, but the other night, I was telling my hubby that a person's blood type should be on the driver's license.  He didn't see the need for that since that had nothing to do with driving, but why not?  What if there's an accident and you get sent to the emergency room?  Wouldn't it be nice for the emergency personnel to know immediately the blood type of the accident victims?  Being an organ donor has nothing to do with driving, yet that is listed on the driver's license.  So, I'm right, blood type should be on the driver's license too.

I called my general doctor to see if my blood type was listed in my records.  No, they don't do that unless requested by the patient, thus you have to pay for it because usually insurance doesn't cover that request.  Dumb.  So I called my OB/GYN since I had surgery last August and the nurse was able to look up my hospital records and it was listed there.  Finally I know my blood type!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

:) Glad you found it!
You would not BELIEVE the countries I get asked where Luke is from (even from Korean's themeselves!)...: Guatamala, China, Mongolia, Mexico!!! (really?), Vietnam, Korea...and the ohhh he's adopted??? lol...(sigh)...Love ya girl..

Anonymous said...

That question still bothers me but only from Asians. LOL! I guess I am nervous about how other Asians clearly from the Asian culture will respond to my answer, on top of being adopted. I am learning not allow their opinions, whatever they may be, to bother me. :)) Oh.. I found out my blood type in a college science class. It took about 30 seconds. I have since forgotten it. ha!

AMY said...

You are such a fox and have such a fabulous figure that many nationalities want to claim you as their own. I can't seem to remember my blood type either, but I do have it written down. I just need to go look it up, AGAIN!