Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Amongst the chaos....

Came HUGE success! I am talking about the Omaha Holt Benefit dinner on Saturday night. The weeks leading up to it is quite chaotic and the days of set up even more-so. Besides getting ready for the actual dinner, I had to prepare for my guests to arrive. Usually I do not stress out about having company, but towards the end of the week, it got to me. My guests that already were at my house know all too well that I was a little(ok, uh lut)stressed out(thanks guys for putting up with me).



I like to think of myself as being spontaneous, I think I am, but let's just say I am an 'organized' spontaneous person! I plan everything to a 'T' so I can be prepared mentally too, which is more important than anything else for me, just ask my hubby. So when it came to who was staying at my house and who was sitting at my tables at the benefit dinner, I had back up plans in place.


Besides planning for the event, I had to make sure I had my two daughters ready to go out of town...what a huge task that was! My oldest daughter was great with fitting in a few hours with her friends to help with stuffing envelopes and organizing the programs amongst the chaos of my other two kids having practices.


My 9 year old had to leave for Chicago Friday at 6:45 in the morning; my oldest daughter left at 4:00 in the afternoon for her state competition. Now things were in order, right?


Then a friend missed her flight here Friday morning and when we both had determined she was not coming, I went into action and I rearranged my current houseguests. Then I called the guests I had on 'last minute hold' to sit at my tables. The best laid plans...


Saturday morning came and time for set up at the hotel. Napkin folding was the task I volunteered for, along with my friends I had taught. Then surprise! There comes in my friend that 'missed' her flight Friday morning! Great to see her BUT now I had to scramble. I am not a good person for surprises, I know it's because I don't have control of the situation.


Two other people were in on the surprise, but little did they know I always have a back up plan and now my tables were over-crowded after I invited my other guests on hold....


Saturday evening came, the benefit dinner started and here I spent the first hour of the event rearranging my tables....I was NOT a happy camper, to say the least. When I invite guests to sit at my tables, I expect and so do they, to be at my table and that I can have some time o talk to them, so I was very disappointed that it turned out like it did.


I am representing Holt in many ways; as an adoptee, an adoptive parent, and as a member of the Board of Directors. I take all three titles VERY seriously. I am one to have fun, but as my friends and I call it, I do know when to turn on the 'maturity switch' and I do it well. I learned that from a very early age. So when it comes to a Holt event, I am really representing Holt. I am very honored that I can represent Holt like I do.


So amongst ALL this chaos, our event was a huge success and that is what matters to me.


I just had to blow off some steam I guess.




No comments: