Monday, February 4, 2008

Why am I a Stay at Home Mom?

Because my kids keep forgetting things for school in the morning or get sick during school....but lately, I feel like that is all I have been doing for them. Is it the weather? I sure hope not because according to that darn ground hog, we are to have six more weeks of winter! Yes, I do love my winter, but have my kids gone into hybernation? When does this end? When do I get to go into hybernation? During the time when all of my kids are in school? Well, then when would I have time to sign everyone up for this and make sure everyone remembers where to be and at what time and who's driving and what the heck will everyone eat for dinner and at what time.

So my morning started off with my son calling saying he needs to stay after school because he forgot to do an assignment in one of his classes. So onto my emails and scheduling for the week. I am the CEO of my family, so now it was time for me to get organized for my oldest daughter and her schedule of events for applying to colleges.

Time to sign up for the SAT and ACT tests. Great that registration can be done online, but what??? I spent all morning and after lunch registering for the tests. Wouldn't want to be simple and just let me sign up for the test date and location and pay for it and be done with it...NO, had to fill out all the other information regarding interests and grades in classes, what types of classes, not just for the current year but for the past years too! And what type of schools you are interested in and parents' income too!! I tried to bypass all of these questions, but heck no, it wouldn't let me until I got to about the 3rd page, then I tried again to 'continue' without filling in the dots and YES it let me! Finally!

So I'm almost done registering, I need to double check everything, but push one update button and it took me right to the very first page!! Ugh! Luckily the dots were still filled in so I could just push 'continue' and get to my final page, click pay and be done with it! How the heck did I do this when I was in high school? The old fashioned way I guess.

But, I have to be honest and say that I would rather go thru this registering process for my daughter so she can concentrate on just taking the tests. I would not want to take these tests ever again! Once was enough for me.

And to think that I didn't even get to finish the calendar of 'events' that need to be followed for the rest of the process for applying to colleges. There's always tomorrow and the next day...and the next day...and the....
It is quite the process nowadays, but I'm a very proud mom and can brag that my daughter is very smart so doing all of this for her is really not that big of a deal, she's done her part, I can do my part.

When does it begin to click for kids to remember everything? How many times have I said to my kids, 'what do you have to do for homework; do you have everything in your backpack; did you remember this and that?'

Is this what I 'signed' up for when becoming a mom? Yes it is. And all I can say is thank goodness I am a stay at home mom because I know my patience would be worn very, very thin if I worked full time too!

2 comments:

AMY said...

Ey-yi-yi!! What is up with that? For us it is because we've had a few snow days and have be off of our normal schedule. Yeah, I know 5 inches should be no big deal. I don't think you even blink at that do you? Anyways...it seems that anything that keeps us off of our normal causes havoc for everyone. Even me!

Cassani Family said...

Boy does that all sounds so familiar... my son takes the ACT tomorrow and he did his own application. It was too complicated for me.
Yes, I wonder how do mom's who work outside the home, do it? I have a hard enough time keeping up with the basics with my kids schedules.
We have got more snow here and when my husband asked me jokingly (yesterday) if I wanted to go to Hawaii , I was ready to pack my bags. Never been there , hope to someday though.
Adriana