Wednesday, February 13, 2008

In Control

I like to think I am in control of a lot of things in my life. One thing I am really not in control of is being sick. I've been sick now for two weeks. How do I get sick when I am a stay at home mom? I don't go out a lot so is my family bringing home the germs, I think so. We share a lot in our family, but I keep telling my family to stop sharing their germs with me.

So what is it that I have? Not sure. Last Friday my youngest daughter came home sick from school. I was able to get her into the doctor and she was diagnosed with strep; very positive test according to the lab. Since I had a sore throat, I was put on antibiotics too. My daughter felt better right away after her first dose of her medicine. Thank goodness because she had a competition that weekend. Needless to say, that was a weekend I could not be sick, something going on everyday of the weekend. I made it thru. Then Monday rolled around and I was feeling worse! What was up with that? I am not one to say I am sick either or go to the doctor at the drop of a hat for myself, but man, my sinuses were killing me! I called my doctor's office and told them my symptoms and I was put on a stronger antibiotic, the horse pill size.

There was no time for me to be sick on Monday but I couldn't control it. Monday was my son's birthday, poor guy, I couldn't make him his birthday dinner. I felt bad, but at least Saturday, he had his friends over for some bowling and hanging out at home...but STILL not being able to cook his birthday dinner and his request is simple, spaghetti. You know I really had to be hurting to not be able to cook that simple dinner. But we were able to surprise him with his present and he did say he had a great birthday after all.

Rest assured, I was feeling better and was able to make his birthday dinner last night. I am not 100% though. Whatever I have really has a hold on me. Last year, this same month, I had the actual influenz A. I didn't get the flu shot last year either, the first time I didn't get it. That took me out for a good month. This year I made sure to get the flu shot. Doesn't guarantee I won't get the flu, but should lessen the severity and the length of it if I were to get it. So do I have the flu now? I don't know, I didn't get the blood test to check. I'm just hoping now that I'm on the mend from whatever it is I had.
So how does my household continue to run when I, the CEO of my house, am sick? There's no choice, I still do the things that need to be done, I just rest in bed when everyone is in school and in between the things that need to be done. Of course, I have the best help there is, my husband. YES, he is very busy with his job, but if I need help or the kids need help, he's right there to do it. I'm very lucky, my family is very understanding and patient, even if they do share their germs with me. At least my kids have a break from school starting tomorrow and thru Monday...will be a very nice break for me....even though school conferences are scheduled for tonight and tomorrow, but I think I will live. :o)

No comments: