Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Encouragement, Loyalty, Respect, Worth, and Support

As we age, we learn about life, for ourselves, our families, and our friends. Life can be cruel as most of us have learned, but we have also learned there is good out there too.
The definition of Encouragement that I like:
1.
the expression of approval and support
2.
the act of giving hope or support to someone
3.
the feeling of being encouraged
So who do we turn to for Encouragement? Our family first. For some, family isn't a choice so then we turn to friends. So how do we know we can count on our friends? As we grow, we filter thru the good and the bad and hopefully, we learn who our true friends are so in comes Loyalty.
Definition of Loyalty that I like:
the state or quality of being loyal; faithfulness to commitments or obligations.
I will be loyal to the end to my friends, but disappoint me once, I will give a second chance; disappoint me twice, and they aren't so lucky. My loyalty stops, why? Because they lost my Respect.
Definition of Respect that I like:
esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability
I like that this definition says, "esteem for or sense of worth". Don't we all want to feel a sense of Worth?
Definition of Worth:
excellence of character or quality as commanding esteem
Wow, sounds so powerful, "commanding esteem". We all want to feel like we have a sense of importance don't we? Some have titles in their jobs, some don't. Those that hold 'titles' do you feel like others treat you as they should or do some shy away from you because of your title? I've seen the way some think they should treat my husband because of his title at work. Most shy away from him.
I've talked about my various titles before. My newest title, I feel some do not see me as being important and forget to treat me with Respect and Worth. I feel others see my husband and I as just dolloar signs. This one I hate the most. Hate is a very strong term and one that I have told my kids never to use, so if I'm using it here, you KNOW this bothers me tremedously!
I grew up in a very modest family, I didn't have new clothes every year for school, I didn't have brand names, I didn't have a nice car, neither did my sister. I have to laugh when I think of my sister's car. The one door was held together with a coat hanger.
So having all that I have now, wow! It blows me away, but I feel people don't realize how hard we worked for where we are today. I know, I have talked about this before too, but I guess when an event such as the one we just had to raise money, I feel like people just look at us as dollar signs and that is it. So I'm coming clean, this is how I feel at my very own functions that are so close to my heart, thus the reason for this particular post.
I had a good cry yesterday because it all came out. I didn't have an enjoyable time at the auction at all. From my previous post, I described how my weekend was so crazy. So I decided to tell those involved with the craziness how I felt.
This was how I was able to weed out the good and the bad, friends and true blue friends. I feel so much better now because my true friends really came thru for me and stuck with me and showed me all of the above definitions. Those that didn't, I'm done with them and I think they know it, at least I hope so. I don't mess around, I don't play games, I don't have the time.
So those FRIENDS out there that gave me tremendous Encouragement, Loyalty, RESPECT, and Worth...THANK YOU for your wonderful SUPPORT!! That was part of my good cry too. Those that I knew were my friends, you came thru for me. God Bless each one of you! I love you guys!!! Ok, I may need my sunglassess again....

No comments: