Thursday, May 8, 2008

Eugene or Bust!

I have done a lot of traveling in the past few years so I have become very good at being patient. Nothing major for this trip, just the last leg from Portland to Eugene, I had an early flight and the rest of my family had a flight two hours later. Tried standby, looked like maybe one would be able to go on the early flight with me, but then at the last minute, two passengers arrived and boarded the plane. And of course, two other people were ahead of my family on standby and therefore, they got on. So off to Eugene by myself.
I boarded the plane, the third to the last to board and I look like one of the 'last minuters' that held up the plane, but I really wasn't, honest, I had a boarding pass, but oh well. The flight to Eugene from Portland is only 27 minutes so just enough to get relaxed and have to get out. But I actually enjoyed my flight on the little plane, I felt like I was sitting in a massage chair for the entire flight and I was able to relax the whole way.
With our great planning, we had everyone's luggage checked on thru my flight just in case they got on the flight. So with my earlier arrival, I was the keeper of all the luggage! Thank goodness for those luggage carts, I sure wish I would have thought of that invention! Anyway, I stacked all the luggage on the cart and headed to the restaurant for the chowder I have had from a previous trip. In my younger years, I would have been appalled to be seen sitting alone in a restaurant all by myself, but this time around, I didn't mind one bit. It also helped that I had my crackberry with me as I was talking to a lot of people and able to text them too. I took my time eating, I had two hours til the rest of my family would arrive. The chowder was good too, sure hit the spot!
My lunch cost $3.95, talk about a bargain! I wheeled the cart full of luggage to the waiting area and started reading the newest copy of the Holt International Families Magazine. I've read these magazines religiously, I've even had a few articles in them. So is it my 'old' age that I caught myself starting to tear up reading several of the stories? No, for those of you that know me, I am very emotional, but good gravy! I was in the airport and I was about to cry reading this magazine! I have to say, the tears were happy tears. Reading stories from adoptive parents and their experience(s) with adoption and talking about their children, there was something that really touched me. And it was wonderful to read about several families that I know personally.
I am a year older today, does that make me sentimental? Did reading the stories hit a cord with me especially today? What was I thinking subconsciously? I know what touched me was the love I read in the words of these adoptive parents and how they each said how lucky they were for the children that came home to them from around the world. I too know that feeling and I have lived that life also.
What better birthday present is there for me than to be here in Eugene, to attend the Holt Colors of Hope Auction that will be raising money to help the children around the world that are deserving of a family of their own. I am a part of this wonderful event, my family is with me and I will be amongst my friends too...Happy Birthday to Me!!

No comments: