Tuesday, May 13, 2008

When do we have 'enough'?

I have always talked about how blessed my family has been, both spiritually and yes, financially. So when do we have 'enough'? How much harder should my hubby work to 'give us more'? He's struggling right now with his new job. He's being tested in ways he hasn't faced in his past positions. Reality is, he feels like his job sucks right now. Who hasn't felt this in their careers? I have told him how much I appreciate his hard work, but does that help him when he feels so out of sorts? It's tough for me to know what to say to him during these times. All I know is that I support him no matter what but isn't that easy for me to say when I don't face the issues he does?
Then he has to try and turn his business brain off and turn on the family switch everyday. I know he gets so frustrated with himself if he feels he isn't all here when things at work are tough. But my goodness, he needs to give himself a break! He's only human! And our family dynamics are such that we are very busy with everyone's schedules, but that is normal and it's our family. This is the life we built together and we are proud of our family.
So yesterday as my hubby was facing gazillion dollar issues, I felt like what I was complaining about was so minuscule compared to his issues. But like I tell him, I have to give myself a break too. My issues regarding the family do matter, just because they don't have a monetary value, they still matter. I am trying to raise my kids to appreciate life, appreciate others, be respectful, follow the rules both at home and at school, all in the hopes that they will grow into productive, loving, and caring people. And sometimes dealing with my three kids sucks too, yes I said it. It's all the ages too. When they don't follow the rules, it makes me feel like a horrible parent and that makes me so mad!
So when is enough, enough? With all that is currently happening around the world, puts things into perspective. But I don't always look at life thru rose colored glasses either. Life happens and I live my own life, thru good times and bad times. We all have to make our own decisions about when we've had enough. Yeah, yeah, there are things out there that are completely out of our control, but if we control the things we can, then we can take that one step forward and live.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I know exactly what you mean! It's hard to be the stay-at-home parent when the working parent is struggling. There can be a bit of guilt there, but keep telling hubby you support him and appreciate what he does. And it is important to be able to vent your frustrations, too. It is hard staying home and raising an active family. Three cheers for all of us "working" parents, some of whom work the monetary shift and some of whom work the freebie shift.

AMY said...

Ah, breathe...

I appreciate what Jeff says about feelings. They are my feelings. I also like what he says about dealing with my feelings when they are affected by another person's actions. Sometimes the person overtakes the evening even if he or she isn't physically there. He says, "I don't have time this evening for so-n-so but I do have time for you and your feelings. If you need to talk to me about how you feel that's fine, but let's leave so-n-so out of it."

Did that make sense?