Monday, May 19, 2008

IHOS!

IHOS...International House of Students! That is what I had last night at my house. On my travels to Vietnam last April, I met the Director of the orphanage in DaNang and found out that her daughter attends college here in Omaha. So from that point on, I have kept in touch with her daughter and for this year's final get together, we arranged for her and her friends to come over to my house and cook for us!


We had two students from Vietnam, one from Togo, one from China, and two from Tajikistan. I also invited one of my friends that is a fellow Korean adoptee because I know how much she enjoys cooking and eating international foods.

My kitchen was a flurry of prepping and cooking and the smells were amazing!! I felt helpless just watching them, but my job was to find pots and pans and whatever else was needed. Oh and I did make rice in my rice cooker.

The food was absolutely delicious! I couldn't stop eating. Everyone enjoyed themselves and all of my family members were troopers in trying pretty much everything. And my son saved the evening (and all of our burning mouths) by contributing in his way and made everyone his 'famous' chocolate malts.
The prepping begins:

Yan telling me to stay away from the cooking:

Watching futbol on tv:

Having fun cooking:The one in the apron was the main 'chef', he is from China. His town was hit by the earthquake so please keep his family in your prayers:Preparing spring rolls:My hubby wanted to prove he could make spring rolls too(luckily, he had our youngest daughter to help him, she was a wiz at it!):The beautiful spring rolls, can you find the one my hubby made?This was the dish that was HOT! The peppers were very, very spicy! Even the 'chef' said they were too hot! But boy was it good!:The finished dishes:Everything was so yummy, I wish everyone could experience international cooking!:

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Yum!! What a treat! Also, what a great way to make the world feel less large.

AMY said...

Oh my goodness! That looks like so much fun. Spring rolls! YUM! What a fun time for everyone. Good pics too! Yah, I like watch futbol too. Is his family okay? Or does he even know yet?