Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hope and Surprise!

Last night was the Holt Colors of Hope Auction. What a wonderful title and have the word 'Hope' in there. That is what the evening was all about. 'Hope' that the guests in attendance would open their hearts to the needs of the children. We could not determine the number of guests attending, we could not determine if the items in the silent and live auctions were the things the guests wanted, we could not determine if the guests would feel it in their hearts to open up their wallets in a time when everyone is worried about the economy. We couldn't determine any of these things, but we could 'Hope'.
We were not disappointed, the room was full of 'Hope' and the evening was a huge success! I love being in a room when everyone feels our mission!
So what was the surprise? At the beginning of the evening, the President and CEO gave his welcome, the introductions, and with that, I end up standing up when he announces my name as one of the Board of Directors. But then he goes onto to ask me to continue standing...
He continues to say that I have been given special recognition from the President of Holt-Korea and I was given a beautiful plaque with beautiful words of thanks to me for supporting them. I was shocked, needless to say, but so, so touched and honored! I got a little choked up, I was not expecting such an honor. Wow, I am still shocked by it all! I only give from my heart nowadays and what a touching moment to be recognized and thanked so beautifully. And most know I do not like surprises, but this one I was able to handle just fine.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Congratulations on the special honor, Kim! No doubt you deserve it. I had a similar surprise at NAFA's Conference on Adoption when I was presented with a necklace of thanks for the work I do for NAFA. Like you, I just do what feels right in my heart and I love the time I spend on adoption projects, but I have to admit, it felt pretty nice to have that work acknowledged. Too often we forget to thank the volunteers who make so much possible -- so, thank you for all you do for Holt! You are inspiring!