Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sweden and Norway

I have talked plenty of my 'Motherland' thru/out my blog, but having had some interesting responses about culture, I do need to start thinking about my husband's heritage. He is half Swedish, half Norwegian. Not that I have never thought about his heritage, I actually incorporate more of the Swedish culture into my cooking than I do the Korean side. I don't even cook any Korean dishes.

With two biological children, I have said we need to take a motherland tour for my husband's side of the family. And this, you know I will make happen. I'm just not sure how to begin, where to begin, but it will happen in two years. I'm really looking forward to this trip, I love to travel and how exciting to show our children another part of their heritage!

The question of exposing our children to their heritage, is it enough? If we don't take it too seriously, I think it is enough. It should be in a fun atmosphere. We aren't going to be able to give 100% of their culture to them unless we live in the actual country and immerse ourselves into the culture. We don't need to do that to appreciate who we are. Our heritage is the part that makes us look like we do, it doesn't have to define us. I say that about everything in life. We are labeled everyday, but we don't have to have those labels define us.

Our life experiences will define us; how we choose to handle these life experiences will define us; how we see ourselves will define us. Is it nature or nurture? It's both, I've lived both and why fight either one?

No comments: