Friday, January 4, 2008

Good Morning, Good Year

Kind of weird to wake up on January 4th and that be the first day of the new year waking up at my house. What a wonderful 2007 I had. Looking back, wow! I have grown up so much(finally)and I can say I am very proud of myself. I know I am a calmer person too which is such a great feeling, I think of it as peace within. I don't know if peace comes from years of life experiences or a mind set, in my case I think it is both. I have learned that I can only control myself and therefore, controls my emotions and my outlook. I think Skip and the kids appreciate my peace within too because it really has made me a happier person. Not that I wasn't happy growing up, it's about being happy with myself.
I have come out of my shell and stepped out of my comfort zone to the point that I want to share this feeling with others. I have told my life story in public several times now, something I dreaded growing up, getting in front of people and speaking. When I tell my story, I tell people that this has been my life and my views and my way of dealing with life. I am not telling others they should or should not feel a certain way. Every person has a story to tell and when you start telling your story, you never know who you will touch.
I look back at my travels and amaze myself that my first international traveling I did was in 2005 when I was 38 years old. I love traveling and when I was little, I wanted to travel the world so after high school, I really wanted to join the Peace Corps, but went onto college instead as that was more expected of me. So now I am amazed I get to travel the world. I know, I know, having the means to travel and the flexibility to travel like I do helps, but with anything in life, if you put your mind to it and prioritize, you can achieve your goals. Skip and I had some very, very lean years, our choice, but we made it work and now we have been blessed with our patience.
After my panic attack with my passport before my last Korea trip, I made sure to renew my passport immediately upon returning home, which I did and I got my new one before our trip to Hawaii so now I am ready to travel once more! Where do I want to travel to this year? China is first and foremost on my list to see Holt's programs there. I want to go back to Vietnam and see the finished product of the orphange our work team 'worked' on. In Cambodia, I would like to see the progress of our family preservation program and the continued growth of the PAK computer learning lab. I loved all of the staff I met in Vietnam and Cambodia. What great dedication and passion they all had for our children.
Our other countries that Holt is involved in of course I want to travel there too, this year will be busy! My other travels this year will also include college visits for my oldest daughter, I can't believe that! Spring break, we have a family trip planned to NYC. Other places I want to travel for fun: Australia, Jamaica, Africa, Alaska, another Hawaiin island, Swedan(gotta see Skip's motherland!)and all the usual sights within the United States that I have yet to see.
Our family is very busy with three kids in school, all three kids in all of their activities, but I make it a point to make it work and most importantly, fit in fun family outings.
I have met many new friends during my travels too. What a bonus for me. I do make it a point to stay in touch the best I can. I know life gets busy for people but like all things, making the effort to stay in touch is up to me. So for those of you I have met, thank you for your continued friendships and for touching my life. 2008, here I come!

1 comment:

AMY said...

Sounds like a fabulous year. I want to be like you when I grow up!

I'm so excited to hear what adventures lie in your way this coming year. Are you going to be able to fulfill the China trip? Wasn't there one planned for the summer?