Thursday, January 10, 2008

Priorities

We all find ourselves busy, busy...too busy to do this, too busy to do that. How 'busy' are we really? My family's schedule, yeah very crazy, but I call it a 'good crazy' because my kids are doing what THEY want to do, not what I said they have to do(as in activities).

Depending on ages, I guess priorities differ. I think for me, my priorities have stayed the same, family first since I always wanted a family. So I think that is why scheduling my family's activities doesn't stress me out. Now I know I will get some opinions from people saying I have it easy, why? Because I don't work full-time or 'we have it made' or this and that. Excuses. I'm done with excuses. I don't feel the need to explain to people if they don't take the time to get to know me, right?

Effort...I think we all need to make more of an effort. More of an effort to be happy. More of an effort to reach out to others. More of an effort to take time and truly enjoy the little things in life, like right now, it is BEAUTIFUL outside, it's snowing!! The snowflakes are big and swirling down...I love it! I love newly fallen snow on the ground, it blankets everything in a new white 'down-filled' looking blanket. How cozy is that! Call me crazy, but I love winter.

I have to make more of an effort to stop saying I am so tired. I am tired though in the mornings, I am NOT a morning person, I never have been. I do get a lot done after I wake up though, but sometimes it doesn't show, but how can one miss the five loads of laundry that are folded or that we are no longer walking on crumbs and sand on the floor and emails are caught up and any changes to schedules are noted and passed along. Years ago, I wouldn't give myself credit for doing these things. I thought they were piddly things, but what if I didn't do the five loads of laundry...our laundry room is quite the site when laundry piles up, like after our vacation and the clothes exploded out of the laundry chute, literally. And yes, I am particular about my laundry sorting...darks, light darks, reds, all whites, lights, towels, and jeans. My family still shakes their heads at me, but boy when their clothes are done, they sure appreciate it then! Really, I don't mind doing the laundry. I've done my own laundry since I was a pre-teen.

Thank goodness I have these skills along with cooking and cleaning. The jobs I had as a pre-teen and teenager, babysitting; teen years, I bussed tables, now that is a yucky job. If I think about it too much, I wouldn't be able to eat out anymore and I love to go out to eat! I also cleaned rooms in a hotel...talk about yuck! Some of you, I've shared my stories and what I would and wouldn't use at a hotel. I also cleaned houses with my sister.
(Insert: the snow is really coming down now! It's BEE-U-T-FUL!)
So back to my priorities. Why talk about my jobs I had? Because now I hate cleaning and I don't stress out about my house being sparkling clean. Not my first priority. My house is lived in, not a showcase. I have come to the realization that if I don't use something, then it's collecting dust and why have it then? I've prioritized to make my life more simple. I don't stress out about things anymore. I prioritize to make more of an effort to enjoy my life, live for the moment. I know, I know, sounds so contrived, but to actually DO that, try it, it's great.

2 comments:

Cassanichronicles said...

Yeah, you are so right on GIrlfriend!
AMEN AMEN
Hey and I even sorted 100 pairs of socks yesterday!! Wow I even threw out all the old ones. I am impressed with myself! To think I got a BA in psychology/ Education for this job! Good thing, I did. I need every bit of it to out smart my kids and make them think they are so lucky to have a mom that teaches them how to do chores. I help them so they are prepared for real life! After all it was their idea to pick me for their mom. Smart kids huh?!
Adriana

AMY said...

Not everybody can wake up at the crack of dawn and start shakin' and movin'. We do because we have to. Jeff and I would love to stay up late and get up early, but it doesn't really work that way.

I love reading your thoughts Sistah because they make me feel so much more normal. I love the quote I heard once about women who choose to stay home with their kids, and that it is really like holding down two full time jobs. That doesn't even include all of the volunteer hours.

And do I have a book for you! I am going to start working with it on this Monday. It so different than any other book I've seen having to do with time management and prioritizing. I post about it on my blog in the next couple of days.