Monday, March 17, 2008

The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom

So this is actually the title of a new show on TLC. I have yet to watch an entire episode. I try to think what 'career' I would do for this show. At one time, I wanted to try my hand at being a police officer. I think that is the episode tonight. Another time, I wanted to try my hand at catering.
Today, I am a full time soccer mom. I have been for 17 years! And when I think about my three kids, there is NO way I could have a full-time career. This morning, the typical Monday morning, my teenaged son took the wrong sweat pants for his track practice. Then I got a call from my 9 year old saying she forgot her math homework at home...So off I went to deliver the math homework and sweats.
When I dropped off the sweats, another mom was doing the exact same thing and we had to laugh, there was a pile of sacks for that very same reason!! I asked the other mom how our kids would manage if we weren't available to run their things up to the schools...I'm not sure, but guess the kids would have to do without huh? Would that teach them to remember their things though? I don't think so, all kids keep forgetting things so I guess I had better get used to it and be thankful I can take things forgotten up to them!
I am updating my family's calendar for the week and if I had a full-time job, there is no way I would be able to keep my sanity. Some things are winding down for my two daughters, but spring is approaching with soccer season for my son and now he's going to try track at school.
Spring soccer comes cold, I mean COLD game times! I took my two younger kids to watch the first game of the varsity soccer team at the high school last Friday. I reminded both of them that this was spring soccer and spring soccer is the coldest sport! 'Yeah, yeah mom...' is what I heard. Each grabbed a sweatshirt, I grabbed a blanket....thank goodness!
Why go to this game then? I wanted my son to watch the older boys since he is so into soccer. Plus the fact that my oldest daughter's boyfriend is also on the team, we wanted to support him. So another mom asks me why I am there and I told her it was because to watch him play. She said, 'So besides having to go to our own kids' events, we have to go to our kids' boyfriend/girlfriend's events too?' This mom also has three kids and all play soccer. I guess I never thought of it that way that we attend other events because of the boyfriend/girlfriend factor. But we did go to all the football games and basketball games, why? Because the boyfriend played both sports(besides the fact our daughter cheered at these games too). It worked out nicely then to see both!!
We don't mind going to the extra sporting events, because we LIKE this boyfriend! He's a great guy and it's our way of showing our support for him(and their relationship).
I am a soccer mom and I don't have a secret life, I don't have time!! I'm actually doing what I want to be doing anyway, being a mom and spreading the mission I believe in.

No comments: