Wednesday, November 10, 2010

An Adoptee Giving Birth

After graduating from college, I was busy planning my wedding. Ten months later, I married my high school sweetheart. Ten months later, I gave birth to my first daughter, but let's back up a bit.

Two months after my husband and I got married, he asked me if I was pregnant. Seriously, I hadn't even thought about it, but looking back the past month, I had missed my period. So we went to the grocery store, it was a Saturday and we needed food to make something for dinner so why not some yummy BLT's? As we checked out, all we had was lettuce, tomato, and a pregnancy test, too obvious?

We got home, I read the directions very carefully and we waited the longest three minutes of our lives...I got the test stick, didn't look at it as we were going to look at it together...it was positive. My husband flopped head first onto our bed in shock. I don't know what I was thinking, I think I was in shock too. Wow, we were going to have a baby, we were going to be parents. So the next thing to do was to make our BLT's, I was hungry!

It also happened to be Memorial Day weekend so there goes getting into a doctor on Monday! And of course, my husband was leaving for training in Chicago on Monday. It's so weird how knowing something, like being pregnant, all of a sudden the morning sickness struck, it was actually morning, noon, and night sickness. I had to deal with it the best I could, I didn't know anything else since I was new to this. We didn't want to tell family until we knew for sure after my doctor's appointment. Being around other family members that weekend was pretty tough.

The pregnancy test at the doctor confirmed I was indeed pregnant. I called my hubby and told him. I think we were both still in shock. So now what do we do? Hubby was in Chicago for training and would be there for a few months so I continued to work and deal with my morning sickness.

During the pregnancy, I never once thought about the baby having my genes and someone that will look like me, it just never occurred to me. I guess it's because I was living life and pretty secure about who I was at the time. I didn't label myself as an adoptee or the only person in my family that looked different, or being the only Asian in elementary school and being one of the very few minority kids in high school. I felt like I was like everyone else.

The birth of my daughter was quite the experience, I actually had a pretty short labor for it being my first time giving birth. Looking at my daughter, there it was, a face that did look like me! I don't think I was surprised, but it was kind of a weird feeling for me to see my daughter looking like me. I guess I was assuming she was going to look 'white' but she was a great combination of the two of us. What a blessing.

No comments: