Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Gotcha Day

How appropriate that on my Gotcha Day, December 1st, I was in Korea.  I meant to blog about it while I was in Korea, but got sidetracked and busy, besides the fact that I didn't have internet access in my room.  

Even though December 1st is my Gotcha Day, the day I actually arrived in the United States was September 2, 1971, so this is my 'real' Gotcha Day.  September 2nd is when I arrived into the United States directly from Korea to be adopted by my first family.  Oddly enough, the last name of my first family was 'Hansen'.  In my second family, I became an 'Anderson'.  I guess I was meant to be Scandinavian being a Hanson once again.  Funny how life works out.

I still send a Christmas card/letter to my first family just in case anyone ever wanted to stay in touch.  I've been doing this for five years now.  No response in return, but I never expected one either, just like I never expected an apology from the first mother for abusing me.  At least I know I have peace and forgiveness in my heart.

1 comment:

Debbie Dunham said...

Your peace and forgiveness are a blessing and, undoubtedly, give you something that your first family does not have.

P.S. This and a few other comments I'll post now on other days' topics were originally posted to the email version I receive of your blog, but apparently it isn't possible to post comments that way. Darn! WordPress lets you post comments directly from the email.