Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sunglasses, please

Today was the day our team went to the Jeonju Baby Home. We went tot the usual E- Mart to pick up snacks and treats for the kids. Then it was off to the toy store to buy extra fun things that all the kids will have to share. Each team member donated a certain amount of money that went towards specific presents for each of the kids. When I say presents, I really mean that each of the kids gets one gift, that's it for Christmas.

Prior to Santa and Mrs. Claus handing out the gifts, the kids put on performances they have been working on all year long just for this moment. They come out by age group and do their performance. They are truly precious and what a blessing it is for me to see these kids put every emotion into their routines. Even the  little boy on the sideline was adorable enjoying the performances.

As I watched the kids, I also watch the group. A few were crying so of course, I started crying. And NO sunglasses! They were on the bus, so no hiding it now. I didn't think I was going to get emotional this time since in the past, I hadn't gotten too emotional. But then again, I haven't been on this trip in two years. All the emotions came back as if this was my first time on this trip.

I told the other ladies that were crying that they needed to know that these kids were in a family, in this home and being loved and that this was better than them being on the streets. I know how tough it is to think of that when we think about how lucky we were to be adopted and have a family to call our own.  You can figure out that the other ladies crying were also adoptees like myself.  We saw ourselves in the eyes of these children, we truly are the lucky ones. But today, we needed to remember that we made their day by being there with them and playing with them, holding them, laughing with them, loving them...even for just those few hours, we made a difference and touched their lives.

3 comments:

asian~treasures said...

And, just reading, I need sunglasses.

Anonymous said...

That does it. Next year I will be going on this trip. Absolutely.

Judee said...

My eyes teared up just thinking of past memories of my trip with you to see the children. They perform their hearts out and are so special.

Mom