Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fell off the Wagon..For Women Only

Seems like a pattern with me. I get all excited about exercising and do great...for two days, then I stop. My excuses range from pure laziness to no motivation to not feeling well. I am not sure how to get over the two day hump. When I'm not feeling well, I give myself a break, because trust me, I seriously can't move(darn cramps). I've had horrible cramps since I was 11 years old. There were plenty of times I would have to call my mom at work and be excused from school, then I would have to walk home.

I've had people say to me they think those that experience cramps, it's all in their heads...really? Do they want to trade one month with me and see if I am making it up? Since I have experienced child birth, I can now say my monthly cramps feel like labor pains. I have a very high tolerance for pain so I can still function like nothing is wrong, but only when I have to. Just like when I have migraines, I do the tasks and no one would know.

My cycles are very unpredictable, I am never on a set cycle. Being around other females, the weather, my stress level, all affect me. I try to estimate the times the best I can so I can be prepared, but sometimes...surprise! Like yesterday morning, I was about to get ready to meet a friend for lunch and all of a sudden, I got a severe pain. I thought it was gas since it came on so suddenly, but the sharp pain continued. I started to think I was having an appendicitis attack. I began thinking of who I could call if this didn't go away, my husband was out of town, my oldest daughter was in training for work, my mom was working. I thought I would have to call 911. The pain was very sharp and I continued to debate about calling an ambulance for about 30 minutes. I even looked up appendicitis online to see what the symptoms were, nope, wasn't it since the pain was on my left side and not the right side. So now what? Um, yeah surprise!

I am thankful I hadn't called 911, that would have been embarrassing! This was the first time ever that the cramps came on so suddenly and so sharply. I'm also thankful I was still home when this happened. I missed out on a great lunch with a great friend, but thank goodness I was home. I'm dreaming of the day I hit menopause, I know, I know, menopause can be just as challenging, but I will put up with those discomforts over cramps anyday. I am 43 years old, I've put up with this long enough!

When I travel, I pack everything no matter the time of the month, I've had to learn the hard way. Oh where, oh where is men-o-pause, oh where, oh where can it be?

No comments: