Monday, May 3, 2010

A Silent Legacy Among Us

This weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to host a reception in my home for adoptees and adoptive families to meet Dr. David Kim. Ever since I met David in 2006, I have been hoping that I would be able to have him speak in Omaha. I can't believe this happened yesterday. So many people helped me to make it happen, especially my husband with his support. I get these ideas in my head, tell him my plans and he just nods his head and asks me what he needs to do to help.

We had at least 70 people or more in our house, I didn't get a chance to do a head count, it was that crowded. Having my home filled with adoptees of all ages and their parents, it touched me greatly knowing I was able to give them this once in a lifetime opportunity. Parents and adoptees thanked us for this special event, some were very emotional and I can understand where they are coming from.

I am a very emotional person and getting involved in Holt was a roller coaster of emotions. Everything I was able to experience was an amazing event for me. When I began volunteering for Holt back in 1999, I never knew where that would lead to. I would have never thought I would be where I am today, things happened for me very quickly within a five year period after my first trip to Korea in 2005. It really has been a whirlwind of involvement, but I know this is my purpose. I feel so blessed being able to see Holt from the inside. I want to be able to give people the opportunity of just a taste of what I get to be involved in.

I am getting so much better at controlling my emotions because I feel very passionate about our mission at Holt. To have witnessed the emotions and picture opportunities yesterday with David Kim truly touched me. I know the impact of this opportunity won't hit people until years later.

David Kim has been so instrumental in Holt, his involvement and contribution to the beginnings and now the legacy of Holt, this truly amazes me. His stories are incredible, his memories of the past 55 years is truly awe inspiring. Every person that meets him can feel his true heart and passion. I hope more people in the near future will have the opportunity to meet him. I have truly been blessed in this life!

4 comments:

Jaci Monaghan said...

Thank you so much for all your work with Holt! You are such an amazing person.

-Stacy and Ted said...

We cherish the opportunity we had to meet him yesterday! Thank you so much!!! Someday when the kids are older they'll understand the significance of the day. THANK YOU AGAIN!

asian~treasures said...

And, another huge THANKS from us, too! Micah was impressed that Dr. Kim wanted to shake his hand; Adria, well, she just wanted to "nuggle the Korea man."

: )

Kelly said...

So wish we could have been there Kim! What an amazing opportunity!!! :) Miss you tons!!